Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Mac 'wheel of death' and Singletrackworld
  • Aus
    Free Member

On my work iMac and Macbook, I’ve just recently got a wheel of death frequently with STW, but no other sites. Anyone else having this, and any easy cures?

maccruiskeen

There seems to be an ad on the right – under ‘search forum’ which seems to be failing to load and causing the page to hang. Don’t know what the ad is for as all I see in a blank space ready for it to appear.

Even as a ‘P’ I’m having to kill ‘Safari Web Content’ a few times in Activity Monitor just to be able to get logged in

MrSmith
    Free Member

Same here on safari. Just have to close tab and reopen until it works. I think it might be the big banner ad at the top not loading?

maccruiskeen

I’m getting the banner ad at the top – but its been a different ad each time I’ve had issues.

lukeekulluke
    Free Member

Use Chrome it works fine 😛

DrJ

Yep – same here. Bloody annoying!!

binners

As an owner of a magic blue P, and therefore a superior human being, I am unaffected by the concerns of the common peasantry 😀

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

yep, me too. after a few ‘close safari’ and opens, it just totally borks safari until i restart my laptop.

working better now i’ve installed chrome, but hey ho…

jambalaya
    Free Member

No never but with a P I have ads turned off.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

whitestone
    Free Member

I get pretty consistent “The operation could not be completed” popups on Safari on iPad, it’s some advert that causes the Javascript engine to overrun its built-in time limit for scripts. All browsers have this: it’s to stop scripts getting into a never ending loop and hanging the browser.

It needs STW to tell the advertisers to sort things out: it’s in both their interests as such behaviour puts the company being advertised in a bad light.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Anyone else having this, and any easy cures?

There’s 2 cures, one I can’t tell you about, upon pain of death. The other is stump up ya tight git! 😆

maccruiskeen

As an owner of a magic blue P, and therefore a superior human being, I am unaffected by the concerns of the common peasantry

It’ll stop you from logging in though – so your Magic Blue P will be stuck behind a Login link that can’t be clicked.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

But, Shirley, you only need to log in one time, so it’s not a problem.

Right?

kiwijohn

Even logged in & all the ads turned off, (all), my MacBook starts running hot until the fans kick in.
    Doesn’t happen on the iMac or iPad.
    Don’t have any trouble logging in.

wwaswas

I’ve had it in Firefox when logged in – shutting FF down and logging back in seemed to cause the ad/tracker/whatever causing the problem to be changed to another one that works.

slowoldman

No problem with STW (it’s the P you know), but Autotrader is giving me headaches with that issue just now.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of complete lock ups this week on Chrome (not while on STW) that required a power button reset (couldn’t even get to the force quit menu). That’s pretty much unheard of on the mac for me. Buggy ads or something changed in the OS/Browser/Java?

mikertroid
    Free Member

Happens to me on safari on MBP; only started yesterday.

spectraken
    Free Member

I had the same problems in Safari. Firefox doesn’t give me the wheel of death, however in activity monitor, CPU processor % is 70%+. Try private browsing instead, you’ll lose quite a few of the advert banners which will help.

hammyuk
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member
    But, Shirley, you only need to log in one time, so it’s not a problem.

Right?

Apparently thats the case….. 🙄

rascal
    Free Member

The only site I frequent that ever says ‘Slow script’ (Mac and Safari if that matters).

fisha
    Free Member

I notice on chrome that the pages seem to refresh repeatedly when viewing. Whilst the page itself scrolls fine f9r reading, the page icon in the tab at the top will blink and animate the same way that it would when it’s loading the page first time round.

The ads are definitely driving more data than they need to. I have no issue with ads loading once when you view the page, but repeated loading is a bit sneaky.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So I’m guessing while writing the post you took the time to mail stw with the details of the problem….

Cougar

It’ll stop you from logging in though – so your Magic Blue P will be stuck behind a Login link that can’t be clicked.

Bookmark singletrackworld.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=forum/forum, it’ll take you to the forum if you’re logged in and an ad-free login page if you aren’t.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Mac 'wheel of death' and Singletrackworld’ is closed to new replies.