Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mac users – what drives and printer/scanner?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Looking for a few bits but unsure what I should be looking for?
    Any recommendations/first hand user feedback for the following appreciated:
    – external hard drive
    – decent desktop printer/scanner
    – CD drive (as iMac has no CD slot)

Would be looking for 2TB drive – not overly familiar but Seagate seem good.
    Printer will be printed onto ‘art’ papers predominantly – good quality scanner needed.
    Apple’s Superdrive is £65 – is it a must-have compared to what else is out there/do other brands offer similar features?

Cheers

footflaps

Any USB drive will do, I just buy whatever is cheapest – have 4x2TB and 2x1TB hanging off the iMac.

timwillows
    Free Member

Any USB external drive, but make sure its USB 3
    CD drive, I use a Samsung one, cost about £25
    If you are printing to art paper then you probably have a better idea what you need than i do

footflaps

but make sure its USB 3

The HDD itself will be the bottle neck unless it’s SSD.

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

What do you want the drive for? If you need access go for a USB 3 drive or Thunderbolt drive, I have this as a working data drive for Photo: http://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Passport-Portable-Integrated-Thunderbolt/dp/B00IZFX5OA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1453236669&sr=8-4&keywords=thunderbolt+drive.

If you don’t need very fast access, then use a NAS. I use sinology devices. NAS’s are far more useful as you can access files and media from all devices.

Printer I use a Samsung Laser for bulk B+W, and an Epson combo thing – both on the network so all can use them. Generally I use printing companies for higher quality stuff so haven’t invested in these much as they work but they are not latest.

If you just want a bit of extra storage just get whats cheap on amazon.

DVD drive – Superdrive is fine but pointless and overpriced. Better to get a bluray drive and you are covered. You may not be able to play blurays natively, but I use it for backups and for ripping bluray, and you can play DVD’s etc. You can also use it on Windows for Blurays if you use VM’s.
    I use this:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slim-Portable-Blu-ray-Drive/dp/B00JJGFRIQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1453236264&sr=8-6&keywords=samsung+bluray+usb

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mac users – what drives and printer/scanner?’ is closed to new replies.