Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Mac & shared PC
  • Kryton57

So I set up a new iMac today. at no point did I setup a link to my Work windows laptop, but there it is in Finder, as a “shared” drive/PC as if by magic.

How did that happen / is it working? Bluetooth? Wifi?

mattyfez

If theres a ‘public’ folder on the windows machine and they are both on the same network it will pop up

seosamh77
    Free Member

your pc is sharing on your network. pretty standard.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mac shows everything connected to the network, so for example we also see the tv box. Whether you can do anything with the device depends on setup / software etc.

Sandwich

Witchcraft, electronic witchcraft. 😉

Kryton57

I don’t have a Network, this is the issue.

Its an IMAC at home, connected to Wifi. Separately I have my work Laptop running, the only link I can think of is that its using the same wifi. Is that therefore the network?

mattyfez

Indeed it is, it’s a home network to be precise.

Kryton57

I always assume devices connected to home wifi were outbound/inbound and separate. I didn’t realise all of the devices could be access by other devices.

So, how come I can’t see my wife work laptop, our iPhones or iPads from the iMac?

mattyfez

Depends on the configuration of the device, your works laptop will have some form of sharing enabled, or at least it’s set to be ‘discoverable’ on a network. Probably how your work set it up.

Your wife’s wont be, hence it not showing up. Mobile phones generally don’t advertise their presence either, unless you force them to.

seosamh77
    Free Member

[list]Kryton57 – Member
    I don’t have a Network, this is the issue.

Its an IMAC at home, connected to Wifi.[/list]

There’s your network right there. Don’t worry you’re not sharing with the whole world, well unless you’ve changed something.

mattyfez

Yeh the gateway to the outside world is your router, your home network is protected behind it, and each device is protected by it’s own security, so unless youvtake specific actions to change that, its basically hidden from the outside network (the internet).

Im guessing your it department have your laptop discoverable so when in tje office they can do software updates on it and whatnot.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP never mind that I was surprised on another thread where it was revealed a Chromecast audio device can reset/reboot the router 😯

Think about Apple TV – your phone/tablet/mac know the ATV is connected to the WiFi NETWORK 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member
    OP never mind that I was surprised on another thread where it was revealed a Chromecast audio device can reset/reboot the router

Google the internet of things.

Dunno why i’m feeding your paranoia mind! 😆 you’ll probably want to shut down the web the morra!

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

I get the internet of things and the denial attack I was just surprised a Chromecast audio could shut down a router.

mattyfez

Why on earth would chromecast have that ability..and why would you want that?

Kryton57

Not required now. Remote desktop load and work laptop connected to give me a 27″ virtual machine when WFH. The joy being that its a window on the mac, meaning all my search and browsing history reminds at home. 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member
    Why on earth would chromecast have that ability..and why would you want that?

don’t think it does, quick google suggests it was just a bug.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/29/google_has_an_update_for_bt_routerbusting_chromecast_boxes/

slowoldman

So how’s the iMac?

mattyfez

google suggests it was just a bug.

That’s a hell of a ‘bug’, call me a cynic.

Kryton57

So how’s the iMac?

Well fast, especially on pics and vids, easy to use and big. Frustratingly simple to set up. It’s probably more than we need but it’ll serve its purpose for a fair few years. I like the Magic Mouse that’s a cool piece of kit.

Jnr(7) is in heaven as he has these at school apparently, and showed me how to create an online football team.

Sandwich

That’s a hell of a ‘bug’, call me a cynic.

No, no, no. It’s an undocumented ‘feature’. 8)

prettygreenparrot

This network discovery can be really helpful. But it is one reason why you never connect to unknown WiFi. Staying in hotels, it’s always interesting to see which machines are sharing their iTunes libraries and what music folks have.

It’s a good reason to not have your name in the name of the computer/phone/device. Too easy to call out from one corner of the cafe ‘Hey, Sue’ and then when Sue looks around you have your mark.

And it’s a reason why cautious folks tend to restrict Airdrop on Apple products and not keep devices discoverable by bluetooth.

Norton’s easy guide to public wifi

prettygreenparrot

well unless you’ve changed something.

it would be worth checking the sharing settings and the mac and the router firewall settings to be sure.

timmys

This network discovery can be really helpful. But it is one reason why you never connect to unknown WiFi. Staying in hotels, it’s always interesting to see which machines are sharing their iTunes libraries and what music folks have.

I remember connecting to a network when staying at a motel in Alaska. iPhoto at the time had to the ability to share your photo library publicly across a local network. I clicked on a library that popped up out of morbid curiosity and instantly very much regretted it, when up the first image that appeared was a naked man posing with a handgun.

It’s not all bad though, I think the first conversation I had with my now wife was when she admired the quality and size of my iTunes library that I was sharing on the work network.

prettygreenparrot

I remember connecting to a network when staying at a motel in Alaska. iPhoto at the time had to the ability to share your photo library publicly across a local network. I clicked on a library that popped up out of morbid curiosity and instantly very much regretted it, when up the first image that appeared was a naked man posing with a handgun.

…in a bathroom like the one for your room?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Mac & shared PC’ is closed to new replies.