Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • (Mac question) how do I access MS outlook emails?
  • rob2
    Free Member

Don’t know if anyone can help but …

My old Mac book hard drive was starting to slow so I got a new one and copied files over assuming it was about to die.

I have MS outlook and want to try an open the emails I had on the old hard drive. Is there a way to do this?

The old hard drive works and it’s in an external caddy. I’ve since changed jobs so my old outlook email doesn’t exist anymore.

Are my old emails stored somewhere on the old drive and can I open them?

Thanks!

andyfla
    Free Member

They will probably me stored in .pst file, have a look for it and copy it from the HDD to your mac,

Then in outlook open them up (go through help to find out how to do this)

slowoldman

They will only be in a .pst file if you copied them to an archive.

Are you running “MS Outlook for mac” on the new mac and did you use it on the old mac?
    Your “old” email from your previous job – was that running on the old mac?
    What have you copied across from the old mac to the new one?

rob2
    Free Member

Yes to using outlook for Mac on the Mac
    Also the ‘old’ Mac had my old email on it

I’ve searched my old drive for a pst file but it can’t seem to find one?

andyfla
    Free Member

hmm, that is usually what is stores it in on a local instalation not attached to an exchange server,

try searching for *.ost then

rob2
    Free Member

Ah, will do. I have managed to boot off my old hard drive and open outlook in read only mode. I can at least now see some of the info I need for my tax return!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@rob so Outlook will be accessing an email database/archive file, I’m a bit rusty on Outlook but somewhere perhaps under one of the menus like File or Preferences there will be a path and filename for the database. That directory may contain other files too which could be of use.

slowoldman

If you have the old drive working and can boot off it can you use File, Export to a USB stick then Import into your new installation?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘(Mac question) how do I access MS outlook emails?’ is closed to new replies.