Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)
  • The new Mac Pro – ooooooooh!
  • danielgroves
    Free Member

Only the Raspberry Pi was properly produced in massively insufficient numbers in recent times.

And don’t I know about it. Was a right bugger trying to get hold of my one, but it was perfect for a project I was working on at the time so i didn’t want to go elsewhere.

andytherocketeer

DDoS’ed both Farnell and RS Components websites too 🙂 Got mine in batch 2.

Toasty

Hmm, so 1866mhz memory, 12 logical cores, PCI-E storage, two GPUs, USB3, HDMI 1.4?

Welcome to the 20th century guys!

If you want a quick tech preview you can pick up most of this stuff on a £50 Micro-ATX motherboard.

bearGrease

What happens if the (single) fan fails?

I do hope they sell like hot cakes, I have AAPL stock.

danielgroves
    Free Member

What happens if the (single) fan fails?

Same as in any other over-heating modern system. Thermal-cutout activates.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Did you buy your stock in ’99? If not, I bet you wish you did 😉

I have to say – that the machine *looks* ace…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m glad these things have got more efficient – my machine at home cranks out 600W of heat, but then that’s with 50% overclock on the CPU and 30% on the GPU! Running Folding/SETI it warms the rooms quite nicely…

IA

If you want a quick tech preview you can pick up most of this stuff on a £50 Micro-ATX motherboard.

Mustn’t…feed…the….troll…. 😉

…oh go on, I’m a bit bored… £50 mobo that’ll take a IVB-E xeon with 12 cores and 1866Mhz ECC ram? Linky? 😉

Kuco

Very very nice, but it be totally wasted on me. Though the new MacBook air might be a purchase later in the year 🙂

burnie
    Free Member

So all the connections and the power lead plug into the front? Or is the power button on the back? Either way it seems a little inconvenient for anyone who wants to use it rather than just look at it!

Toasty

Mustn’t…feed…the….troll….

…oh go on, I’m a bit bored… £50 mobo that’ll take a IVB-E xeon with 12 cores and 1866Mhz ECC ram? Linky?

Om nom nom nom.

CountZero

So all the connections and the power lead plug into the front? Or is the power button on the back? Either way it seems a little inconvenient for anyone who wants to use it rather than just look at it!

It’s round, it doesn’t matter, does it? It’ll sit orientated where the wires are best situated for connecting to mains and externals, which could be sideways for some users. It would make a difference if it was a big box like the old Pro Towers, which had optical drive drawers on the front.
    And usually sat on the floor, collecting dust and footprints…
    …unlikely to happen with one of these!

binners

OI geeks! You are aware that no potential Mac Buyer has the remotest idea what on earth you’re talking about. A fact they’ll take a great deal of comfort from

I take it that all that shit helps you play World of Warcraft a bit quicker? 😆

maccruiskeen

Or is the power button on the back?

Of course its on the back. Thats the best place for a mac power button.

Thats what I loved about the intel imacs when the came out – they put the power button round the back where you have to feel for it, back where it belongs.

I remember having a guy come into our office back in the late 90s to network our beige G3s to our new lightning fast ISDN connection. He sat studiously hunched over the computer for 20 minutes before piping up “Excuse me, how do I switch this on?”

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks alright, I’m sure it’ll be just as overpriced as the rest of their lineup and yet the poncey arty farty lot will still shell out for it.

I actually think the older mac pros look better but each to their own.

danielgroves
    Free Member

Or is the power button on the back?

Lets face it, you turn it on once and then the only time it gets turned off is because you’re going away for a long period of time, or for a quick reboot.

grum
    Free Member

Looks alright, I’m sure it’ll be just as overpriced as the rest of their lineup and yet the poncey arty farty lot will still shell out for it.

Ooh get her! Jealous you can’t afford one? 😛

zokes
    Free Member

Lets face it, you turn it on once and then the only time it gets turned off is because you’re going away for a long period of time, or for a quick reboot.

This. The only times I’ve restarted either my MacBook Air or MacMini in the recent past are for updates. I’m not even sure where the power button on the MacMini is.

danielgroves
    Free Member

This. The only times I’ve restarted either my MacBook Air or MacMini in the recent past are for updates. I’m not even sure where the power button on the MacMini is.

I was expecting to get beaten down for saying it 😛

I’ve had my Mac Mini for six months. One reboot.

I’ve had my MacBook for 5 years. Could probably count the reboots on my fingers still.

maccruiskeen

Could probably count the reboots on my fingers still.

But PC users are that bit more evolved than us

retro83
    Free Member

Somebody needs to make one of the flaily arm men for it

like this

until that happens, am ooot

_tom_
    Free Member

Ooh get her! Jealous you can’t afford one?

Lol I can quite easily afford one, its just that I always try to get the best value for my money. Thus, I dont have any apple products any more, unless a hackintosh counts? I’m planning on getting a nice looking case if that makes it more acceptable? 😛

IA

best value

Ah see this is an interesting thing. Cos it’s very personal, and it depends on what you value for your work/leisure uses.

So the mac pro won’t be “bad value” for many of its intended customers.

E.g. if you need the xeons/ECC, that immediately cuts out a lot of “good value” consumer parts from your choices (i7? No good etc. Consumer geforce? no good.). Typing this on a dell precision, which I don’t think was any better/worse value (from a pure spec pov) than the equivalent mac pro.

allthegear
    Free Member

Yeah – Apple products have been competitive on a spec/price for quite a while now.

And yes, I rate the value of the retina display in this MacBook VERY highly. Really weird using a normal laptop now.

Rachel

grum
    Free Member

Ah see this is an interesting thing. Cos it’s very personal, and it depends on what you value for your work/leisure uses.

So the mac pro won’t be “bad value” for many of its intended customers.

This. Also – Macs tend to have much better resale vale than PC equivalents so the total cost of ownership is often not much different. But lets not get into another tedious Mac vs PC debate please.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh I don’t know it’s it the law or something.

Bring back the mad custom machines, I say.

“The Macintosh IIfx was a model of Apple Macintosh computer, introduced in 1990 and discontinued in 1992. At introduction it cost from US $9,000 to US $12,000, depending on configuration, and it was the fastest Mac available at the time. It had many code-names, including Stealth, Blackbird, F-16, F-19, Four Square, IIxi, Zone 5 and Weed-Whacker”

Wikipedia

jfletch
    Free Member

This. Also – Macs tend to have much better resale vale than PC equivalents so the total cost of ownership is often not much different. But lets not get into another tedious Mac vs PC debate please

Or

Here is my opinion on the matter and it’s obviously right so please don’t disagree with me as I want to have the last word unchallenged

If you don’t want the “debate” then its probably best not to start it, rather than just implore people to bow to your magnificence.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This. Also – Macs tend to have much better resale vale than PC equivalents so the total cost of ownership is often not much different. But lets not get into another tedious Mac vs PC debate please

The resale is an interesting point, mostly due to the initial sale price I would have to guess, if you want one but can’t afford it then the 2nd hand market will be your option. The more who can’t afford new the more who will dabble in the second hand market and hence keep prices up.

The lack of upgrade in some of the apple models will lead to people shipping stuff on sooner into a market of people who can’t afford to get the new one.

FWIW Win 7 is a very stable OS, it catches program crashes really well and keeps the whole system up. The number of update restarts has dropped a lot and I reckon I turn the machine off once every 2/3 months.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I never understand this. Why would you not turn it off when you’re not using it?

Some Linnuxians have this e-peen thing “I’ve not restarted since 2008”

Seems really weird to me – turn it off, save some power.

Come into office – press ‘on’ button pick nose make tea – pretend to work. Simples.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think they hibernate it, just not turn it off. Different.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I never understand this. Why would you not turn it off when you’re not using it?

PC is workstation, media server, working through the night doing stuff when I’m not there, accessed remotely etc. It’s not just there to email and browse singletrack

danielgroves
    Free Member

My main computer at the moment in the top-spec MacMini Server. It uses sod-all power to leave on. When it’s left on I can sit down in front of it and start working instantly. I can keep my VMs running, keep my backup services for remote machines running, and pickup work where I left off earlier without having to reload everything. To me, thats important.

PC is workstation, media server, working through the night doing stuff when I’m not there, accessed remotely etc. It’s not just there to email and browse singletrack

This sums it up well. Those who don’t understand why some of us need to leave computers on 24/7 probably don’t because they don’t have a use case for it. Theres nothing wrong with that. It’s just some of us do have a use case for having at least one machine on 24/7.

xiphon
    Free Member

I have only recently started turning my PC off since A.) buying an iPad, and B.) migrating the bit torrent client to the NAS (which is on 24/7).

The PC has a UPS attached, so uptime between reboots was measured in months.

Now I use the PC* about once a week.

(*PC for me = hackintosh pro 😉 )

zokes
    Free Member

grum
    Free Member

Here is my opinion on the matter and it’s obviously right so please don’t disagree with me as I want to have the last word unchallenged

If you don’t want the “debate” then its probably best not to start it, rather than just implore people to bow to your magnificence.

Oh FFS. Whatever. 🙄

mogrim

I’ve got Ubuntu Linux at home, and I regularly have to reboot it when the kernel upgrades.

Funnily enough the last time I had to restart this Win7 machine was when iTunes updated. Most of the time I just hibernate it overnight to save power.

I don’t think you can realistically argue about OS stability these days – they’re all pretty stable, and have been for a number of years now.

CountZero

Lol I can quite easily afford one, its just that I always try to get the best value for my money. Thus, I dont have any apple products any more, unless a hackintosh counts? I’m planning on getting a nice looking case if that makes it more acceptable?

In our studio, we have two iMacs, both of which are three or four years old, plus an old G5 which acts as a server/RIP to our imagesetter, plus an old G3, which was previously my Mac in a previous job/life, made in 2001, IIRC and still being used as the email server.
    In our IT department, there are currently four dead PC’s sitting on the floor, and a matching number of empty boxes, and not so long ago there was a room with over a dozen dead PC’s sitting on shelves prior to going in the skip.
    None of those PC’s could be more than two years old.
    Best value for money? A machine that’s scrap after two years, or a machine that’s still in use twelve years on?

zokes
    Free Member

Funnily enough the last time I had to restart this Win7 machine was when iTunes updated.

FAIL.

I don’t think I’ve ever obeyed iTunes’ demands for immediate restarts on Mac or PC, and I don’t seem to have died yet…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

‘Zero has got a point. My Dad is still using a G3 iMac.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0kIEy4EwXE&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Oh dear!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘The new Mac Pro – ooooooooh!’ is closed to new replies.