Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Mac OS upgrade question
  • Anna-B
    Free Member

Know there are lots of Mac users here – hoping someone around will know!

Have just bought a new iPod, but the OS on my Mac mini isn’t new enough to upgrade the iTunes. Currently running 10.4.11, (Tiger) I need 10.6.8.

How do I do this? Can I do this? Have had a look on Apple’s website but can’t figure it out.

Thanks… Panicking slightly that I now need a new computer now I have a new iPod!

CaptJon
    Free Member

googling ‘how to upgrade from tiger to snow leopard’ gives lots of guides.

Anna-B
    Free Member

I did that too, and wouldn’t have posted here if I was still confused! But thank you.

CountZero

You should be able to just go into the App Store and find Mountain Lion and download it. I keep meaning to upgrade my Mini’s OS, but I never think of it when I’m actually using the damned thing!

zokes
    Free Member

You should be able to just go into the App Store

Is there an App Store on Tiger? And if it’s Tiger, it’s probably PPC, and Lion no-likey PPC

Anna-B
    Free Member

App store? I have no idea, what’s PPC…. Help!

alanl
    Free Member

You need to upgrade your operating system, usually, this means buying a new/secondhand install CD/DVD.
    Ebay is usual for 2nd hand. You will need 10.6, once that is installed, it’ll download the updates to make it up to 10.68.

rossw
    Free Member

Buy or borrow a copy of Snow Leopard. £14 from the Apple Store.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Anna B – If you click on the the apple icon on the top left of the screen & select about this mac you should have an image like –

If you can tell us what your processor etc we can properly help further.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Thanks all for help.

Prince John:

Processor 1.66 GHz Intel Core Duo
    Memory 1GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    Startup Mac HD

Mac OSX Version 10.4.11

🙂 thank you

How do you do screen grab??

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Call up that window, then:

Command+Control+Shift+4 [= Capture dragged area and copy to the clipboard].

Save as jpeg/png and upload via tinypic

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

lol – too late

whole screen is Command+Control+Shift+3

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Looks like the latest OS you can go to is 10.6.8, which is available from the apple store for the princely sum of £15.00 – if you are worried about what you are doing I would get a professional to assist.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Thanks so much Prince John…… do you know if 10.6.8 will work with itunes 11 – which is the version I can download now? though I only need 10.7 for the iPod.

frustrating to have this beautiful ipod sitting here, but so long as I can sort this “slight problem” out!

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Recently moved to Snow Leopard, as per above posts, for the same reason. Painless.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Skinnysteel – please can you tell me how old/what Mac?

CountZero

zokes – Member
    You should be able to just go into the App Store
    Is there an App Store on Tiger? And if it’s Tiger, it’s probably PPC, and Lion no-likey PPC

Good point, well made! It’s funny how blasé you get about stuff, just because I’ve got the App Store on my Mini, with the pre-installed OS, I forget that it’s not on earlier versions. However, it should be possible to get there via Apple.co.uk,, I would have thought. My Mini is nearly two years old now, and has Snow Leopard, IIRC, so will upgrade easily.
    My old PowerBook, however, is stuffed, ‘cos its PPC.
    Sorry ’bout that, trying to help, not confuse. 😳

Anna-B
    Free Member

No worries Countzero, thanks. It’s funny, the first poster said, oh just google it – which I had – and it turns out it is actually pretty complicated, and it wasn’t just me. I just want to use this here bleedin brand new iPod I have…. never thought it would be hassley.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

You should be fine with snow leopard & the latest iTunes

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Mac OS upgrade question’ is closed to new replies.