Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • mac help for a luddite please
  • cb

I recently posted about my Yahoo email account having been hacked and have now installed suggested virus software. However, when I click on ‘Finder’, there is a PC Server listed under the ‘Shared’ heading.

It is called “pai02l5gjlr4j”. Now this may be innocent but I have no idea what it might be and I can’t seem to access it or find any more detail on it. Any ideas? I guess I am worried that I have been “penetrated” by an undesirable!

Thanks

CaptJon
    Free Member

home network? what is attached to the network?

work network? ask it dept

Check privacy/security settings in preferences to make sure no sharing or remote access is enabled

jambalaya
    Free Member

Sorry I don’t know what that is. Is it another device/computer on the same WiFi network ? Can you click into it to see what files are there (I am relaxed about doing this on Mac’s as the OS is much more secure than Windows). Finally if you don’t know what it is just turn off the sharing. It would also be worth looking at the sharing permissions on your Mac, just make sure they are all “off” for time being, IIRC that’s the default anyway. That should all be in Systems Preferences I think.

On the basis you don’t get your answer today (I imagine the gurus will be along shortly) I’ll check my machine tonight for the locations of these functions.

cb

Thanks all – I am home based and self employed. I have BT Infinity hub connected by ethernet and a wireless printer. It “could” be any of those but is listed as a PC Server which worries me! Also the fact that it won’t let me click on to find more detail….

I’ll turn off all sharing and see what happens.

Thanks

MrNutt
    Free Member

sounds like you’ve been violated, destroy everything, get to the nearest airport and take the first available flight then await further instructions.

jon1973
    Free Member

I am worried that I have been “penetrated” by an undesirable!

atlaz
    Free Member

PC Server which worries me!

It depends what software the PC is running and how it’s configured. It’s probably okay.

kcal

it’s very possibly the wireless printer – ours comes up as some long string of digits; but at least there is further information in Info.

It’s not someone’s nearly server? unlikely though as you’d have to connect to their wireless network.

Switch printer / other machines off and see what’s left. Switch off the router (or even disconnect to outside world) and see if it’s still there..

Sandwich

You can confirm your printer name by opening System Preferences and looking at the Print & Scan preferences. A list of connected printers will appear in the LH column.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘mac help for a luddite please’ is closed to new replies.