Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Mac Air Safari/IOS help required
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Hi,
    In an attempt to get live coverage of Liege – Bastone – Liege I went to Steephill to find a live link video.
    Stupidly I clicked a downloaded ad link and now Safari forces me to some random search engine and also when I open a new page I get shifted to “clean your Mac” sites or if I follow a page link off here into a new window I now get “Russian bride” site instead of a new page with the link for here etc.
    Clearly I’m an idiot.
    Anyone got any advice for restore or should I go to Apple and get them to restore/clean it ???
    Running IOS latest version and Safari 8.0.5

Annoyed, I’m so annoyed

Mackem
    CountZero

Never a bad idea to have alternative browsers, I use Chrome mainly, and sometimes Firefox. Chrome is handy for running Flash video, because it does it natively, saves having to actually install the buggy, hole-ridden piece of crap.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks very much guys.

Great help as always.

I owe you one..

bikebouy
    Free Member

Annnnnd an update:

After downloading a sodding AdWare snoop/divert bot off Steephill.TV the other day I almost resorted to using this MacAir as a Frisbee or Table Wedge and damn near broke the thing in half.. but my better judgement got hold of me as I frustratedly slammed shut the lid for what I though was the very last time.

So this darn AdWare piece of utter shite embedded itself and I had a frustrating time when surfing being sent off to Russian Brides or Brazilian Brides or Clean Your Mac sites, ohh how I laughed, and laughed.

Thankfully I searched on STW and some good advice followed sharpish, excellent thanks. However that didn’t fix the problem…. Nope shame really because I thought it’d be a simple fix. Simple clearly is Me and so I set about phoning an old IT colleague.. he suggested some fixes but his overriding advice was pop into Apple Store with your Mac and they’ll sort it out…
    Happily I trotted off this morning to Stratford and accosted a “Genius”.. and it has to be said he was a Genius.

Happy ending time…

The upshot of my blabbering is this.. if this happens to you on a Mac..

a) Apple will happily restore your software for Free (in my case this wasn’t needed, more on this below)
    b) Apple have a fix via AdWareMedic which you download FOC and it simply runs like an App, when run it shoots off for a search against a list of AdWare shitty bots and then brings the results up in a window and you select all you want to delete then restart.. (this is what fixed it for me, simple thing for simple minds and took about 2 minutes for it to come back with a list of 5 nasty buggers…) deleted and restarted and alls well in bikebouy world.
    c) Apple also recommend an AdWare extensions blocker off their own “Safari Extensions” page on their site.. this simply downloads into Safari to stop Ad’s etc. (this I downloaded too and ran it)

And thats it.

Al clean and dandy and happily back to normal, if feeling violated is normal.

Just thought I’d share that, thanks for listening and hope you have a nice evening.

TTFN

jambalaya
    Free Member

Useful info thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mac Air Safari/IOS help required’ is closed to new replies.