Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Mabie, Dalbeatie, AE – Which one do you rate highest
  • yetiguy
    Free Member

For various reasons (which i wont go into here and bore you all to tears), I can only get to one of these on Boxing day with my 12 year old son and our new bikes 😀

Some riding facts about me

I love, rooty, rocky technical riding
    Would class myself as an intermediate rider
    I like Whinlater (A lot)
    I have about 4 hours to ride
    I cant really jump very well
    I dont really like boardwalks very much

Which would you suggest we go

stooo
    Free Member

Based on your likes/dislikes, I'd head to Mabie, or perhaps Dalbeattie… but avoide Ae.

I really like Ae, but it's very fast and jumpy feeling place. no much in the way of natural rooty stuff. There certainly are some rocks… but I'd say it stays too much to the jumpy side of things for you.

Dalbeattie is much more flowey single track – though it's very pedally – not much in the way of freewheeling descending. Definitely a good work out. There is some nice natural rooty sort of sections, but may be a bit much work for your boy, dunno

Mabie – highly under-rated in my book… think it's great. flows well. Couple of nice climbs, nice fast flowy singletrack descents, lots of rooty stuff, bit of rocky stuff, nothing too technical. Talking about it is making me want to go there.

oh – and if you like natural technical rooty trails – you should definitely check out Drunlanrig castle, if you haven't all ready – though I doubt it'll be open boxing day.

Enjoy your ride, wherever you choose.

forge197
    Free Member

stooo – what a great summary, I would just add, a lap of Dalbeattie is going to take a longer than a lap of Mabie, nothing to add on the descriptons as it's pretty much my view of those three too.

rockitman

Never ridden Dalbeattie and only done the others once each but I disagree with you both. I too love Whinlatter and I much prefered Ae to Mabie.

IMHO there was nothing memorable about Mabie, it reminded me of Grizedale / Marin Trail. Ae was much better and the Omega Man descent rocks (watch on You Tube). If you're looking for a descent like the 2 at Whinlatter then this is the closest you'll get.

forge197
    Free Member

You need to know the "extra" bits in Mabie then you will see it in a whole new light 😉 That aside it's a good trail.

Fortunatley there my local trails so I get to see them quite a bit and Mabie is a grower rather then an instant hit like some trails are, that's for sure, a year ago I would have been Mabie negative but having ridden it more I am Mabie positive.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Mabie is my favourite but that's where it all started for me many years ago. Drumlanrig is excellent if you like roots, there won't be any facilities open on boxing day but you could stil ride the trails.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mabie, as Ae is probably ok but worth saving till you master the joys of air.

Dalbettie is a tough one bit too much fire road for me but the tech stuff is hard 🙂 in a good way

Mabie is one of my favourites good fast flowing descents workable climbs and sensible distance

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Caution Dalbeattie has major diversions at the mo and anyway Kirroughtree is your place only extra 35 mins in car

GW
    Free Member

if you like roots, rocks and off camber there's enough of that at Ae to keep you happy but not on the XC route

yetiguy
    Free Member

Looking at you tube it looks like there are a lot of 3 and 4 foot drops at AE

Are there escape routes next to these drop offs ?

They are a bit too big for me and my lad (blushes)

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

There are chicken routes round the drops. You have to take it easy on the last descent as if you do hit those drops fast you'll be in the air for a while.

Keith.

trail_rat
    Free Member

visit drumlanrig

mafiafish
    Free Member

IMHO there was nothing memorable about Mabie, it reminded me of Grizedale / Marin Trail.

Yeah, Grizedale is seriously outclassed now.

gazc
    Free Member

if you dont mind the extra bit of driving kirroughtree is better than all those imo 🙂

crazy-legs

Beaten to it by gazc – I'd go to Kirroughtree instead!

forge197
    Free Member

I rode Mabie for the first time yesterday for ages I had forgotten how good the near final decent is and also it's weathered in a way that's made it a bit rougher in places which has improved it too, had a great time, that and the trees had a layer of crisp frost on them and it looked stunning.

Trekster

with my 12 year old son and our new bikes

Some riding facts about me

I love, rooty, rocky technical riding
    Would class myself as an intermediate rider
    I like Whinlater (A lot)
    I have about 4 hours to ride
    I cant really jump very well
    I dont really like boardwalks very much

Seem to have forgotten your SON 💡

Mabie for 12yr olds, miss out burn splash/scorpion 🙂

italspark
    Free Member

drumlanrig is better than them all

scotabroad

Agree with Trekster + if your lad is unfamiliar with the bike a flying lap of the blue at Dalbeattie + a muck about on the skills loop might be a fun/ easier break into the new bike??

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

I seem to remember Drumlanrig as a mud fest in winter it may have been improved as it was a wee while since I was there

ewawoowa
    Free Member

definitely mabie……..

Trekster

fotheringtonthomas – Member

I seem to remember Drumlanrig as a mud fest in winter it may have been improved as it was a wee while since I was there

Can`t see that happening…mud is the real deal 😉
    same as steel is real. In their defence Drum does not have a "trail centre" style budget.

italspark
    Free Member

mud and mountain biking ?

banginon

Drumlanrig trails will be open on boxing day but Rik's Bike Shed and the Snack Bar / Cafe won't; although we will be open the day after and for limited hours through the week 11 – 3, I think.

The trails at Drumlanrig are a whole lot more natural feeling and rooty than the Stanes but if you do actually ride there then you'll find that the singletrack is well drained and solid. Some of the forest tracks/fire roads between the singletrack are very old and can get muddy but the singletrack is generally solid.

However don't expect a meter wide gravel path with jumps and berms, the trail is dug from the natural earth by hand or mini digger so the roots are still there and can get slippy and the leaves on the top of the trail can hide them so expect to spend some of your ride going sideways! If that sounds scary book a skills session at Rik's Bike Shed 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Mabie, Dalbeatie, AE – Which one do you rate highest’ is closed to new replies.