Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • M9000 hubs?
  • monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Anyone any experience with these? Weight looks ok and I always hear the newer Shimano hubs roll amazingly and hold up well if looked after. Was thinking 240s’s but these are cheaper and lighter (apparently!). It’ll be for an XC race bike so it probably gets washed more than ridden…

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Morning bump.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

you can fit an XD free hub on 240’s though, which will give you a lighter overall wheel and a larger range of gears (assuming 1x)

this guy does cheap 240s (link is for 32h hubs only)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=bikestacja&hash=item4d32217094&item=331553534100&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X32h.TRS0&_nkw=32h&_sacat=0

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

M9010s are 265 and 137g

Centrelock 240s are 218 and 265g

6-bolt 240s are 230 and 145g

So XTR are still heavier than 240s, plus you can’t fit an XD body, plus Centrelock rotors weigh more.

Personally I’d have 240s every time, but Shimano hubs do indeed roll nicely!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d have DT240 too for XC. More a maintenance thing and ability to run XD body. Shimano are lovely for road though.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Weird, the quoted weight of 240’s must have been wrong that I looked at! Can’t see me ever buying a SRAM cassette, I can’t afford to drop £150-£200 on a cassette while the kids are still living here! I’ll be running 10 speed for a while.

At the moment just looking at a rear hub, front is fine and is running a dumb arse Specialized OS28 end cap thing in the fork. Will stick with it until the fork is dead. Rear hub is a weird design with the tiniest bearing I’ve ever seen in the cassette side that keeps dying, was making a weird weird noise at the weekend too!

Thanks for the links, will have a neb!

cynic-al
    Free Member

What does “roll nicely” mean in a hub?

njee20
    Free Member

Spin a load of wheels in a jig and the Shimano one keeps going a very long time. I can’t imagine this translates into any measurable real world advantage whatsoever (although CeramicSpeed make a huge amount of money out of their friction-reducing bearings, so who knows).

But you knew that already, so why pussy foot around it?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

😛 As above, at the end of the day it probably doesn’t make any real difference but saying that I’m training hard (ish), nice things feel nice and even if it’s only placebo it’s still a positive. Nice things also generally last longer but as has been reported, XTR pedals are a bit rubbish so I wanted to put the question out there.

At least you’re consistent with your hate for everything Al.

mrblobby
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    What does “roll well” mean for a wheel?

cynic-al – Member

🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Nice things also generally last longer but as has been reported, XTR pedals are a bit rubbish so I wanted to put the question out there.

XTR pedals were a bit rubbish in their M980 guise, but had been superb before then, so one hopes (/assumes) they’ll have fixed them for the M9000 iteration! The USP of Shimano pedals is that they last a million years, at the point at which their durability is poor they’re a pretty bad choice of pedal!

cynic-al
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    I can’t imagine this translates into any measurable real world advantage whatsoever

But you knew that already, so why pussy foot around it?

Just checking there’s nothing to it, and wondering why folk who know it’s meaningless ascribe some benefit to it.

monkeyfudger – Member
    At least you’re consistent with your hate for everything Al.

What a load of shite! How does asking a question equate to hate?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

6-9 watts for ceramic speed bearings apparently

I see they do a chain no 2-5 watts optimised for 200 miles

What happens then? Is it useless?

devash
    Free Member

Spin a load of wheels in a jig and the Shimano one keeps going a very long time.

Even their low-end hubs roll fantastically. My girlfriend has them on her £400 Cube hardtail and once set up properly with the cup and cone spanners they spin on and on like the Duracell bunny. Much better than sealed cartridge hubs, although I couldn’t say how this affects real world performance.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

What a load of shite! How does asking a question equate to hate?

It must be your delivery, in most threads of this type I see you contribute to your “questioning” generally comes across as hate.

njee20
    Free Member

Just checking there’s nothing to it, and wondering why folk who know it’s meaningless ascribe some benefit to it.

I put it right at the end, as a bit of a nod to the fact MF had commented on it. But as DR said, apparently there’s a 6-9W advantage from having nice free rolling wheels. Will anyone notice that in terms of on the bike feel? Doubt it. Will it have an effect on performance, however minescule? Yep.

And it was a leading question you were asking, you knew the answer, but just wanted a chance to shoot people down. Your MO is getting far far too predictable.

I see they do a chain no 2-5 watts optimised for 200 miles

What happens then? Is it useless?

I read about that, it’s a normal chain after that! Mental.

cynic-al
    Free Member

cynic-al mythbuster! It just irritates me seeing guff here.

I’d be interested to know the ceramic comparison – is it with well adjusted smooth hubs or tight knackered ones?

njee20
    Free Member

It’s for cartridge bearing hubs. Was merely suggesting that very ‘free’ rolling bearings can offer a very marginal performance advantage.

Guff here.

D0NK

I read about that, it’s a normal chain after that! Mental.Genius!

Race teams/minted fanatics have to buy a new chain every 200miles. Top marketing.

mrblobby
    Free Member

It’s for cartridge bearing hubs. Was merely suggesting that very ‘free’ rolling bearings can offer a very marginal performance advantage.

Pinch of salt for the marketing guff… but 30 to 60 seconds over a 25 mile TT is definitely not marginal. Not looked into the tests though to see what the baseline is etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

6-9 watts is decent, I’d love to see the actual test results, seems like a lot

Do they do headset ones? 😛

dirtyrider
    Free Member

6-9 watts would have got decker the hour record

mrblobby
    Free Member

6-9 watts would have got decker the hour record

6-9 watts has me nervously hovering over the buy button 🙂

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Do they do headset ones?

Ok, I’ll be the cynical one for a second…yes!! And in the press release they were extolling the virtues of the ceramic bearings reducing flex or some such guff, now that was deserving of some hate!!

Those bearing kits from ceramic speed are insane money, even if it gave me 10 Watts and half an inch I still couldn’t quite afford it……obviously it’d go straight on the CC though!

cynic-al
    Free Member

I guess you’d waste less energy steering your bike TBF!

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    dirtyrider
    Free Member

This popped up on my Instagram feed 😆

slackman99
    Free Member

What are Ultrafart bearings?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘M9000 hubs?’ is closed to new replies.