• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jruk.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • M8000 XT BB's a tight fit?
  • chestrockwell

Hi all. As above really. I bought a M8000 BB and attempted to fit it yesterday. Having got over the fack the shell is smaller that any other HT BB I have had so my BB tool won’t fit I attempted to offer it up to the frame.

The none drive side bearing seemed incredibly tight, to the point where I was concerned I’d damage something if I used the force required to screw it in. Drive side was fine, as was the old BB on the none drive side so it shouldn’t be an issue with the threads on my bike.

Anyone else find this and have a solution before it gets launched in the bin?

Oh, and do Hope BB’s have the standard or stupidly small bearing size?

legend
    Free Member

Are you sure you didn’t cross thread it?

andyl
    Free Member

yeah cross thread is my first thought.

You should have got a tool to convert it to normal BB tool with the BB if retail. OEM might not come with it.

Never heard any complaints about Hope BBs.

scotroutes

(a) you should have a little converter in the box so you can use your old tool

(b) there’s nothing inherently wring with XT BB threads that should cause any problems. You’ve either cross-threaded it or it’s thread lock.

andyl
    Free Member

old threadlock/debris in the bb shell?

I guess the other thing is if the cup is damaged and slightly distorted. Unlikely but possible.

chestrockwell

Got it from Chainreaction and it came in a sealed bag but not with a box and with no tool. 😐

chestrockwell

The threads don’t look crossed and it was difficult right from the start. I was very careful when first fitting so if it is damaged it must have come like that. Gar.

scotroutes

Aye – lack of associated parts is often the problem when buying cheap OEM kit from the box-shifters.

I doubt it came damaged, though it’s not impossible.

sillyoldman

Get the frame chased and faced.

faustus

I’ve had similar with recent BB changes, and concluded it’s partly the frame threads not being very clean, and the threadlock on the new BB. There feels like too much resistance for a while but then it eases a bit, and i’ve not had any issues with longevity or cross-threading. No harm in getting your threads chased though.

chestrockwell

Think that may be the case as it did seem to have a thick band of threadlock although the BB shell is clean and all others fit in fine. Thanks for the responses.

plecostomus
    Free Member

chestrockwell – Member
    Got it from Chainreaction and it came in a sealed bag but not with a box and with no tool.

POSTED 4 HOURS AGO #

Should have supported your local bike shop and bought one that isn’t OE.
    Sounds like you have cross threaded the bb shell.

chestrockwell

Should have supported your local bike shop and bought one that isn’t OE.

Thanks for that, most helpful. FYI I do usually but it was meant for a bike I sold and was half the price of Chevin Cycles. I expected a proper one as at no point was it described as being anything other that standard.

scotroutes

It’s pretty standard for CRC, Wiggle, Merlin, On One to ship OEM parts. That’s one of the reasons they’re cheaper than your local shop.

chestrockwell

Yep, I know that and have been caught out before but I would expect them to at least state it didn’t come with the usually supplied and necessary tool.

Anyway, due to getting it from there and it costing peanuts I can afford to throw a tantrum and chuck it in the bin (Or spares box).

jruk
    Free Member

CRC helpfully state that some of the new XT BBs come with the adapter, others don’t. Mine didn’t.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘M8000 XT BB's a tight fit?’ is closed to new replies.