Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • M785 XT Brakes Free Stroke Adjust – what does it do?
  • cossyrush
    Free Member

I can’t work out what this does, I can see that it moves the lever slightly, but it seems to make no difference to the feel of the lever.
    Any advice on where I should set it before bleeding?

Cheers
    Ben

bwaarp
    Free Member

Nothing.

Seriously.

Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Sets the reach, pretty much.

That’s all I’ve found it does. Useful when you’ve had a gutful of bleeding the damn things.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Nasty brakes to bleed, work great though.

twohats
    Free Member

Probably the easiest brake out there to bleed, can’t understand how you’d get it wrong!?

DickBarton

I think it is meant to adjust the amount of lever throw from all off to all on…

sharpenededge
    Free Member

Increases the amount of lever movement before the pads hit the disc. I have always found that it has the opposite effect to what I need.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If they’re anything like the 775s sod all!

rondo101
    Free Member

Anyone that says “nothing” is doing it wrong.

As it’s unscrewed it increases modulation, but it relies on the brakes being set up right in the first place. Take the lever off the bike & look underneath as you unscrew it & you’ll see how it works.

bigyinn
    Free Member

So rondo101 how should we do it correctly? Absolutely no point posting what you did if you’re not going to enlighten us.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Most reviewers seem to concur that the bite point adjuster does stuff all.

Dickyboy

If they’re anything like the 775s sod all!

Works for me, changed from SLX to XT m775 levers just to get this feature to increase distance between levers & bars at biting point 🙂

rondo101
    Free Member

Make sure the calliper is centralised & you don’t have a dominant piston so that, with the screw all the way in, the bite point comes pretty soon into the lever stroke.

Then, by unscrewing the free stroke screw, you will find the lever will need to be pulled further for the pads to fully engage, with the motion earlier in the lever pull allowing you to apply more precise braking.

Works with both the 785s & 775s.

cossyrush
    Free Member

Hi rondo101,
    Thanks for the details, I’ll take a good look at it tomorrow night.
    The brakes have bled ok and the lever is rock solid.

Have also just gone back to 2×10 after a spell over the winter of 1x.
    Have just fitted my new shadow + rear mech.
    Riding on thurs, quite excited to see if it’s any good and if I can avoid a lower roller.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘M785 XT Brakes Free Stroke Adjust – what does it do?’ is closed to new replies.