Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • M775 Rear Hubs . Are they , you know , a bit carp?
  • singletrackmind

Had a crunch on the top of the cassette so thought a clean and re-grease was in order .
    Once I figured out how to get into the hub found the internals to be abit tish.
    One set of bearings captured in a race , 1 Set loose . A freehub that appears to be non serviceable ( might be wrong ) and a fairly rubbish sealing arrangement.
    Once I had found and cleaned all the bearings after they rolled out across the garage floor , the hub went back together OK .

Setting up the cup and cone tolerences took time , but once i mounted the cassette onto the freehub the fun really began .

Tightening the cassette tight enough to stop wobble on the freehub caused the cup and cone and axel to tighten up and no longer run free . So I can either have wobbly cogs or a free spinning axle?

Going to strip it again to see if im being a muppet ( likely ) , but with so few parts cant see where im going wrong .

cynic-al
    Free Member

shimano freehubs aren’t generally servicable, other than by soaking or injecting grease through them. I think this is a one of the xt hubs that do ahve worse bearings/freehubs than the original design tho.

How cassete tightness affects bearings I don’t understand.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sounds like the lock nut And seal assembly is not together right and the lock rings fowling when tight .

If you have the patience of a saint and make some basic tools ( basically a large fat 2 pronged screw driver ) then shimano freehubs are servicable , did my buddys xtr one once as a replacement was 140 quid !

Need fishing wire and light grease though . Flushing through works just aswell imo and its not worth the hassle as the bearings are tiny and love to dissapear !

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robbo167
    Free Member

Rob

They are what they are….use them in mud and they need lots of maintenace..on my ones the rear cone kept coming loose,loctite cured that..my road commuter I havent touched for nearly 2 years,still running sweet.
    Done a couple of freehubs on MTBs too,(Dusk till Dawn kills em quick!)dead cheap from CRC etc,sometimes cheaper to buy the hub!

Anyway,it gives you something to fiddle with doesnt it?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘M775 Rear Hubs . Are they , you know , a bit carp?’ is closed to new replies.