Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • M62 road-rage incident
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Apologies if his has been done but I don’t understand how the owner of the flat-bed can refuse to give the police the name of the driver. The incident was discussed the other day on Radio 2; the reporter contacted the police who have contacted the owner and that they’ve ascertained that the vehicle is taxed, mot’d insured etc. and that the owner won’t give them the drivers details..
    1. How can he refuse? Or is it the whole idea incriminate myself if I was to tell you therefore I don’t have to.
    2. How do they know it’s insured if they don’t know who’s driving and what licence he holds?

Cougar

I thought that if the keeper won’t disclose driver details then the keeper is held liable?

thegreatape
    Free Member

The registered keeper is obliged in these circumstances to give the drivers details, and commits an offence if he doesn’t – Section 172 Road Traffic Act 1988 covers it.

martinhutch

Presumably the possible penalty is less than the aggravated assault/criminal damage/dangerous driving combo his family member will most likely face?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

his family member

Nah, off the books employee. With insurance repercussions.

Flaperon

Lancashire police (presumably who’re responsible for this bit of the motorway) told me that they only investigate road crime if someone’s been injured.

Or if you exceed the speed limit slightly, I suppose.

martinhutch

Nah, off the books employee. With insurance repercussions.

Ah, yes.

Then again, given how handy the bloke is with a tyre iron/baseball bat, I wouldn’t want to be dobbing him in either.

simmy
    Free Member

It’s Greater Manchester’s section of motorway.

I can’t understand why they didn’t stop the flatbed on the Day. It happened at the junction of the M60 and M62, right near the works compound and one junction away from where the traffic unit is based.

wallop

What on earth are you all chatting about?

bearnecessities

I don’t know either and I’m on the bloody thing every day.

parkesie
    Free Member

A flat bed truck reversing down the hard shoulder knocking the cab off another truck then smashing it up with a bat.

hamishthecat
    Free Member
    bearnecessities

Was it BatMAN?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Mister-P
    Free Member

It was a shovel wasn’t it?

Esme
    Free Member

In other news, Michael Howard (former Home Secretary) has just been convicted of failing to say whether he or his wife was driving when caught by a speed camera.

£900 fine, £625 costs, £90 victim surcharge, plus six penalty points.

martinhutch

To be fair, he does have a history of not answering the question.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwlsd8RAoqI[/video]

crankboy
    Free Member

Easy solution sieze the truck for forensics DNA and seat tapings and keep it as a potential exhibit pending identifying the suspect. Owner has to chose between identfing driver and losing flat bed plus paying storage costs.

onehundredthidiot

Michael Howard one is different. He says he can’t honestly remember. Yes it was either him or his wife but they share the driving and as it was a month ago….
    What would happen if he took the points but it later turned out Mrs was driving?

devash
    Free Member

The police might already know who it is but are playing the incident down because said perp might be under investigation for bigger things i.e. drugs or burglary.

Coyote
    Free Member

Michael Howard one is different. He says he can’t honestly remember. Yes it was either him or his wife but they share the driving and as it was a month ago….

Wow. A whole month ago. I call bullshit, they know exactly who was driving.

tjagain

which one of Howard and his wife already have a lot of points?

maccruiskeen

The police might already know who it is but are playing the incident down because said perp might be under investigation for bigger things i.e. drugs or burglary.

I always thought Michael Howard was up to no good

Cougar

This

Jesus, why isn’t this attempted murder?

What would happen if he took the points but it later turned out Mrs was driving?

If no-one (allegedly) knows now, how would the find out later?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member
    The registered keeper is obliged in these circumstances to give the drivers details, and commits an offence if he doesn’t – Section 172 Road Traffic Act 1988 covers it.

What if the registered keeper is a company?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Covered by section 5 of that act:

(5)Where a body corporate is guilty of an offence under this section and the offence is proved to have been committed with the consent or connivance of, or to be attributable to neglect on the part of, a director, manager, secretary or other similar officer of the body corporate, or a person who was purporting to act in any such capacity, he, as well as the body corporate, is guilty of that offence and liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly.

(6)Where the alleged offender is a body corporate, or in Scotland a partnership or an unincorporated association, or the proceedings are brought against him by virtue of subsection (5) above or subsection (11) below, subsection (4) above shall not apply unless, in addition to the matters there mentioned, the alleged offender shows that no record was kept of the persons who drove the vehicle and that the failure to keep a record was reasonable.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

The company will have agents or representatives who act on the company’s behalf. Afterall, the company didn’t take the truck for a test drive before buying, did it?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘M62 road-rage incident’ is closed to new replies.