• This topic has 33 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Wozza.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • M60 commuters
  • LapSteel
    Free Member

This is also going to coincide with the resurfacing of the M66!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

can it actually be any worse?

Harry_the_Spider

Looking at the time scale it is going to coincide with the next ice age.

lowey

Yep, we have been leafleted about this and I’m calling into the exhibition that they are running in Urmston on Friday to find out more. Commute M61, M60 junction 9 everyday.

One more reason to commute by bike, but on the days that I need the car I reckon this will double the journey.

twistedpencil

I’ll be back to commuting by bike / train come September, the last 18months of traversing the M62 M60 will come to an end. I feel your pain if this affects you, the works to the M62 were especially fun. I liked how they finished on time then promptly moved half a mile down the M62 to undertake the same work to Castleford and the M1…

phiiiiil

This is what everyone voted for when they turned down the public transport improvements though, isn’t it? So surely it’s got to be a good thing?

Harry_the_Spider

So surely it’s got to be a good thing?

Hopefully it will be, but the next 3 years are going to be painfull.

I’m hoping that the “quiet” road surface covers the bit that goes past my house.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

can it actually be any worse?

Yes. I could still be commuting along the M62 and around the M60. But I’m not. I have a 10 minute walk followed by 10 minutes on the train followed by a 5 minute walk to my office*

* thats on the days when I can be bothered going into the office. If not my commute is walk downstairs into my home office.

ElShalimo

isn’t this the same as the recent M62 “improvement” near Leeds?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Where it took them 3 years to paint some new lines on the road and put up some signs?

twistedpencil

Yep it’s the same type of upgrade. I do think the M62 works near Leeds have improved things though. Just a painful period waiting for it to be completed.

lowey

Start 14th July.

Deep joy.

woody2000

Oh, good. I hate to say it, but a lot of these schemes are keeping me in a job at the moment!

Here’s the M62 “improvements” in action – view from Hartshead services heading towards Leeds @ 8am. This is still fairly normal sadly. Money well spent!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m not sure if any of the major road works achieve much – but slowing everyone down for long distances for a long period of time must save wear on the roads!

samuri
    Free Member

Did they not have any normal sized chainrings in stock when you bought that bike? 😉

As for the motorway works, I ride under the M62 every day, always a queue heading into Manchester. Has been for the last 6-7 years that I’ve been riding under that motorway. Some people presumably, elect to sit in that queue every single day. Which is quite sad.

geordiemick00
    Free Member

i travel around the North a lot and suspected manchester would be next. I was optimistic when I saw it was being done at leeds, as it generally works extremely well on the M42. The reality is at Leeds it hasn’t worked one bit. In the morning the queue starts at Dewsbury where it always did and it still grinds to a halt at the M606 Bradford, the only difference is there are more signs now telling you the limit is 40mph, when you’re crawling along at 10mph.

The problem with manchester is there’s too many exits and entrance slips in quick succession, try and get off for A580, the entrance for the traffic coming off M62 is within the 300 yards to leave the motorway. It won’t work.

woody2000

@samuri – it’s a 36T up front, perfect for tootling around to work etc 🙂

Also perfecting for lording it up over the daft barstewards sat there every morning 😉

mrchrispy

I cross the col de parrswood everyday and seeing a good old tailback on the motorway gives me a solid dose of righteousness.

bearnecessities

Well, it’s begun.

On the M62 merely the presence of the 50mph signs is adding pretty impressive delays, already. Can’t wait until the actual work starts!

binners

I noticed on Sunday that they’ve coned everything off and reduced the whole motorway down to 50. I also observed that theres absolutely **** all evidence of any actual work going on. Not even a bloke in a high vis tabard stood having a fag

Harry_the_Spider

Work has begun on the experimental anti pollution barriers between J18 & 19 on the M62.

Work on the carriageway starts soon at the J20 end. Should have the bit near my house (J18) done this winter.

50mph limit seems to make it flow quite smoothly on my commute J17 – J15.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

The clockwise cones on the M60 start at J9 which is where I exit for Trafford Park in the morning. Just hoping the inevitable chaos doesn’t extend much past there. 3 years to put up a few gantries is frankly unbelievable and as the clockwise M60 is usually a car park from about J6-7 in the evening I don’t believe using the hard shoulder is going to make much difference.

gonzy
    Free Member

oh bollocks!! not good news at all
    they’ve got one of these set up on the M6 from J11-J7….it only got finished in the last 12 months….only taken them 9 years to complete it.. 😥

dazh

I noticed on Sunday that they’ve coned everything off and reduced the whole motorway down to 50. I also observed that theres absolutely **** all evidence of any actual work going on.

What we need is a cones hotline!

windydave13
    Free Member

What we need is a cones hotline!

Not seen that yet, but there are lovely little yellow signs telling you exactly what bridge or overpass you are on!!

I assume thats in case the “workers” get lost. Either that or to aid the number of drunk folk who seem to be using the M60 as a footpath at the moment

mrchrispy

yup. loving the bridge names, some interesting ones.

thankfully I get to drive on the M60 at times of my choosing as its rare I commute in the car.

binners

Talking to someone involved in the whole thing the other day, the farcical world of large public sector projects is already in full effect.

Rather than the workers going directly to the part of the M60 they’re working on each day, with their equipment, they first all have to report to a central unit, where they’re then sent to the part of the M60 they’re working on. Via the M60. Which will be a car park. Then report back to the central unit at the end of the day. Via the M60. Which will be a car park.

That should knock a good few hours off the working day.

rossendalelemming
    Free Member

They’ve got to install the Speed camera’s first, to pay for it all. Then they can start work.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m enjoying the bridge names too, but the spelling mistake/abbreviation at Molyneaux Brow Over Bridge is going to bug me until Summer 2017.

I have to say that traffic flow from 17 to 15 and 15 to 17 on the return journey has been pretty good this week.

crazy-legs

If I drive to work I use a short section of the M60; J25 to J23 anticlockwise.
    Normally, the other way going towards Stockport is pretty solid from about 25 up to maybe 24. Today it was solid from 25 all the way up past J23 where I came off. Just one big car park.

Madness.

Harry_the_Spider

There was a shunt at J5 IIRC that was causing problems.

unovolo
    Free Member

Similar roadworks going on at the end of the M67 which leads onto the M60 amongst others.

The tailbacks and queues have already been slammed by the local councilor and in response the project manager has stated that they will also carry on working at night to reduce timescales, which would be great but seeing as how they haven’t0 bothered doing any work at all during the daytime for the last week or more can’t see how its going to help.

Wozza
    Free Member

Ticked for the links, Cheers.

It’s about time I asked about working from home, I reckon this might sway it.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘M60 commuters’ is closed to new replies.