Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • M6 internal threaded tube, or tap-able tube of suitable size – where from?
  • jameso

Dull post I know..

Anyone know where I can get 300mm or more of internally threaded tube in M6 from, or something that would do the job? I could make 150mm or so work, but longer is better. I want to make a really long headlock.. threaded tube with top caps and bolts at each end. Looked online but can only find thin-wall tube of 3/8″ and above.

Ta.

Ambrose

Local Aluminium suppliers should help. Google Aluminium tube stock.

andyl
    Free Member

M6 threaded bar with a couple of M6 threaded stand-offs? Might be a bit heavy.

Failing that make your own aluminium threaded bar with some 6mm bar and then either use some M6 stand offs or make your own aluminium ones.

jameso

Thanks. Nothing easily found from Al suppliers, thinking about it what would anyone need 250-300mm of threaded M6 tube for anyway.

I found some threaded Ti bar – £50 headlock anyone!? ) But the stand-offs are a good tip, ta.

Just need 2 x 150mm bolts. I can get 100mm Ti M6 bolts (in colours too) but no longer, so a 150mm section of internal-thread Al would pimp my steerer nicely..

Otherwise, 2 pcs M6 x 40mm+ standoffs, 1 section M6 studding, 2 caps and bolts, sorted.

brakes
    Free Member

why would you need something like that?

jameso

It’s more secure than a top-only compression device on the fork I have.

compositepro
    Free Member

8mm x 1.5 wall tube and tap either end makes your id 5mm @8.71 a metre
    or in old money 5/16ths x 16 guage makes your id just under by a nats

jameso

CP, I just tried that on some short sections of 5mm ID Al I have, just about works. Where sells it by the m? I didn’t see any suppliers listing it.

compositepro
    Free Member

http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/Aluminium-Round_Tube/c120_131/p3100/Aluminium_Round_Tube_(6063T6)_8_mm_x_1.5_mm/product_info.html

sorry its 10 quid for an entire 5m sounds like a shonky outfit but ive bought stuff from them and its been here next day if its a bit big on bore you can also keensert it

for imperial sizes or stronger alloys stuff like L168 I use Ace engineers in morely

wwaswas
    jameso

Thanks CP, will try them.

Ta WWW, the longest bolt is 275mm, so annoyingly close but not quite.. would buy one of the longer 2 from that kit if anyone has one lying around tho, as it may work with a standoff nut.

wwaswas

Look at Amoeba and azonic too – one has a very long bottom ‘nut’ thingy which iirc works with gusset bolt. Try before buy though.

Edit: just tried gusset bolt works with amoeba nut. Amoeba is about 8cm long.

jameso

useful.. let me know if you want to clear them )

I have some studding and joining bolts to do both bikes now. The other thing I’ll try is a compression plug in the bottom.

Of my steerer – just read that and saw how dodgy it looked..

compositepro
    Free Member

I’m sure there’s a market for bottom plugs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘M6 internal threaded tube, or tap-able tube of suitable size – where from?’ is closed to new replies.