Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • M56 gas tanker fire.
  • wwaswas

no idea how to post a video from Twitter but, blimey;

https://twitter.com/rossapf89/status/630753661812101120

kcal

backpacking stove gone out of control?

[ ouch ]

bruneep

That’s “safe” now that it’s vented off. Just allow to burn out cover with spray, or you can do as our trainee did many yrs a go put flame out 🙄 then we had to evacuate due to gas leak.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

can’t believe people were driving past taking pictures, tbh;

johndoh
    Free Member

That’s “safe” now that it’s vented off. Just allow to burn out cover with spray, or you can do as our trainee did many yrs a go put flame out then we had to evacuate due to gas leak.

That’s a great idea *in theory* but what about all those cars full of people just metres away on the other carriageway?

footflaps

How long will that take to burn out?

And yes, I’d want to be nowhere near that just in case it does go pop…

sobriety
    Free Member

[Quote] That’s “safe” now that it’s vented off. Just allow to burn out cover with spray, or you can do as our trainee did many yrs a go put flame out then we had to evacuate due to gas leak. [/Quote]

As long as you’ve put out the fire that’s causing the overpressure, otherwise you get into BLEVE territory, and they are not things you want to be around.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Looks like a fairly stable flame to me. Hopefully everyone got out okay and they will just let it burn itself out.

Edit Obviously what Bruneep said about the spray to keep the temperature down. If it’s propane the tank pressure will only be about 9 barg, initially.

fasthaggis

backpacking stove gone out of control?

I thought it was Binners lighting one his farts.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As long as you’ve put out the fire that’s causing the overpressure, otherwise you get into BLEVE territory, and they are not things you want to be around.

Weirdly I was having this discussion the other week, should road tankers have depressurizing valves in addition to relief valves. Much bigger flame, but less chance of an explosion.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapour Explosion

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI0qU4EZbS8[/video]

Scary stuff.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Some video of a training course I went on at RAF Spadeadam. My favourite is at 1:10 min, the 70 barg jet fire.

Edit oh and at 2:13, why you shouldn’t store LPG bottles in a building.

stever
    Free Member

That’s a couple of miles from me right now. Should I be shutting the windows?

tillydog
    Free Member

That’s a couple of miles from me right now. Should I be shutting the windows?

Nah – take all the glass out and put it somewhere safe… 😉

project
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQrVXEPQrM[/video]

a LGV was stopped before hitting the bridge in Frodsham town centre main road, due to being overheight, luckily the driver noticed its now parked up but blocking road, traffic appears to be jammed up past cheshire oaks,dunkirk and chester, and the HA are cutting central barriers to allow vehicles to turn round.
    Long delays on M53 through tunnel as vehicles divert the long way round.

project
    Free Member

And now there is a multi vehicle accident on the M62, all 3 lanes blocked it appears

brooess
    Free Member

Wow, Frodsham in the news 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Wow, Frodsham in the news

Bob Carolgees has a candle shop there.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

is that a Rapha jacket he’s wearing?

rickmeister

Those crazy Russians…

[video]http://youtu.be/GOlq6RRh3sg[/video]

midlifecrashes

Pah, who needs the Ruskies when you can strap one of these to your back. I want a go.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W78hQlZd6vw[/video]

maxtorque

^^^^That “Jet tank” is my new favourite thing! 😀

Just remember to put the handbrake on before throttling up……. 😉

stevedoc
    Free Member

Ive just spent the last 2 hours directing our drivers off the M56 and home, stupid thing is they decided to sit in it rather than find an alternative route , words tomorrow me thinks

stever
    Free Member

Wow, Frodsham in the news

I went past Gary Barlow’s mum’s farm not long ago.

CountZero

Apparently the tanker driver tried to put the fire out when he realised things were warming up and stopped, you can see the two extinguishers by the front wheel in that second photo.
    Got to give the bloke credit for having the cojones to stand by a burning propane tanker with a standard extinguisher trying to put it out. If I was asked what steps I took under similar circumstances, I’d reply ****ing big ones, as far away as possible!

globalti
    Free Member

How long before an engine or cab fire begins to affect the pressure of the gas stored as a liquid inside the tank though?

From the pictures and the descriptions I understand that there is a vent on top, either heat or pressure activated, which allows gas to blow off vertically upwards so as to prevent a build up of pressure to the point where the tank fails and ruptures, which is when you get this devastating BLEVE.

The last time I saw that acronym was in the Iain Banks novel Complicity where a man is murdered sadistically by Bleve, apparently a favourite method of the Welsh nationalists who burned English holiday cottages in the 70s and 80s.

gonefishin
    Free Member

How long before an engine or cab fire begins to affect the pressure of the gas stored as a liquid inside the tank though?

It depends on a number of things, however the relief valves will be calculations done (although probably only once per truck design) to determine the likely maximum heat flux into the vessel (probably from a petrol or diesel pool fire) which will then give the required gas outlet rate. It’s a fairly standard calculation in industry and from the photos it appears that it did the job it was intended to do.

project
    Free Member

another vehicle fire on the same road same place but other side now, and a lgv has overturned at Runcorn on the entry slip.

All tankers are shielded round the engine to encapsulate a fire below the cab, and the pressure realease valve opened to vent the gas, been a safety item since the start of boiler explosions on steam trains.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘M56 gas tanker fire.’ is closed to new replies.