Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • M530 "trail" pedals?
  • cookeaa

I’ve just stolen my SS MTB’s M520s to go on a road SS bike.
    Which means I’m looking at getting some new pedals for either the SS MTB or my Geared HT and swapping the M424s from my HT onto my SS MTB.

The M530 “Trail” platform type pedal seems like a viable cheaper option at the minute, but how does it compare for foot support/additional grip to my older M424 and M636’s?

Shimano’s newer “Trail” platform type pedals generally look to have a relatively minimal fixed platform/cage arrangement compared to the older pop up type platform SPD pedals, So does it really do very much?

danielgroves
    Free Member

I recently switched from the normal SPDs onto some XT trail ones, and was dubious as to how much of a difference it would make.

I’ve actually found that my foot feel much more secure on the trail pedals though, and are much more comfortable during a long day in the saddle. The cage may be minimal but it prevents your shoe from having as much give and spreads the load a tad more making them far more comfortable. I’ve found the extra support has made me feel a bit more confident on the techy stuff as well.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I like them but find it difficult to release at slow speeds leading to some odd mini-accidents. It seems you have to be more precise with the angle of release.

cookeaa

I’m not asking if Platform SPD’s work I’m basically asking if this:

With it’s rather minimal looking cage, works as well as

This:

or this:

Both of which I already own and get along with pretty well, but now there’s a newer slightly cheaper alternative option available…

Yetiman
    Free Member

In my opinion no. My 530’s offer better support than my previous XTR race pedals, but they are not as supportive or as grippy as the M545’s that were on my hardtail. The 545’s are similar to your 424’s but have aluminium cages.

bigrich

halfway house between the two. I think trail pedals are rad.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

My M530s are good at clipping into – that extra bit at the front really seems to get pedal in the right place for me to stomp into it.

In terms of support, I’d say no real difference to 520s to be honest. Certainly wouldn’t like to do some techie stuff unclipped but using it as a platform pedal a la my M424s.

cookeaa

Hmmm, I think I might just opt for a second pair of M424’s then if the M530’s aren’t very supportive as they are only a couple of quid more from On-One…

Cheers all some handy feedback…

b45her
    Free Member

the extra metal on the 530’s simply helps with clipping in, they offer no more support than 520’s

patriotpro
    Free Member

b45her – Member
    the extra metal on the 530’s simply helps with clipping in, they offer no more support than 520’s

Exactly this, they don’t roll when clipping in. A small technicality which offers a big improvement.

Recommended.

mrelectric

I use Mallets on all 3 off road bikes.
    Sorry for a shameless plug but this might just; I have these FS:
    Shimano PD-M545 SPD pedals. Unused and as new. Cro-Mo axle; classic tough off-road pedals.
    RRP: £70; £32 pair posted UK.

cookeaa

Already ordered some M424s @ £22 but cheers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘M530 "trail" pedals?’ is closed to new replies.