Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • M520 SPD – more durable alternatives?
  • Ben_H

I’ve been using the M520 SPD model on my commuter / life bikes for some years, partly because they’re only about £17.

I seem to get about 2-3,000 miles out of them until the bearings get “clicky”, at which point I might as well replace rather than repair them. I’ve had 3 pairs now.

Is it worth splashing out a little more for an upgraded SPD to increase life / serviceability?

(I’ve had some M540s on my MTB for ages, but I do less miles on this bike – so it’s hard to tell how long they’d last.)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

540s or XT

rocketman
    Free Member

Hard to look beyond 520s when they are so inexpensive and ime 540s and XT780s last longer but not that much. The only SPDs I’ve had that have been significantly better than the others are XTR but they’re ££££££££££

jameso

I seem to get about 2-3,000 miles out of them until the bearings get “clicky”, at which point I might as well replace rather than repair them. I’ve had 3 pairs now.

Possibly, they’re really easy to service though. Undo the main plastic section from the pedal body, use some small spanners to adjust the cones, put new grease in the end of the body and the old grease is forced out as you do them up. 10 min job, max. Mine last long enough that I bin them when the body has been worn away by my shoes – years per pair. One of the best bargains in cycling imo.

Ben_H

^^^ Does that get rid of the “clicky” feel on the downward stroke (i.e. when applying pedalling pressure to the pedal)?

Thanks 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Time.

Bombproof and better. More expensive, though.

jameso

Don’t know Ben, hard to say from here : ) It’ll fix it if it’s related to loose bearings provided they’ve not been trashed. There’s only that or a loose axle-crank fit that causes any noise.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

Possibly, they’re really easy to service though. Undo the main plastic section from the pedal body, use some small spanners to adjust the cones, put new grease in the end of the body and the old grease is forced out as you do them up. 10 min job, max. Mine last long enough that I bin them when the body has been worn away by my shoes – years per pair. One of the best bargains in cycling imo.

Do you need a special tool to get them apart? Or am I confused?

jimw
    Free Member

You do need a specific tool,
    But it isn’t megabucks
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3338&p=34120&d=124&c=4&l=2&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Tools%20&%20Maintenance&gclid=CMaqmtCtu8oCFScFwwod8BIN7Q
    (Available at other stores)

Alternatively buy a pair of M540’s and you can use a spanner.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Yes. A little plastic socket made by Shimano

540/XT don’t need one.

kcal

use 520s on my crappy town bike, and not that bothered when they die – last years as above. Have tried 540s too and slightly better.

I think I bought a pair of 959s about 15 years ago for my M2. They’re still going strong! so much so that I’ve bought either as new or s/h a couple of other pairs for other bikes, just spin and run more easily..

johnnystorm

8500 miles on my m520s with no signs of needing replacement yet. Mostly commuting, plenty of total submersion in Welsh bogs and zero tlc. Cycling’s biggest bargain.

butcher

Not sure what you’re doing to kill them to be honest. The m520s on my road bike have done near 9k miles, and aside from looking a bit battered, there’s no obvious signs of wear. And they’ve seen their fair share of grim weather.

If you’re riding ankle deep through rivers, or power washing it, then you can kinda expect it. Or I suppose maybe even if you were leaving your bike outside. But they have a pretty decent lifespan in my experience.

g5604
    Free Member

M520s are bombproof, must have 10k+ on mine

mattsccm
    Free Member

Strewth. My 520s must be into 10’s of thousands. Done 30K in less than 5 years and only replaced the pedals about 18 months ago. And that was because it was cheaper than buying cleats. Just strip and grease occasionally.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I wear the cages out on my Shimano’s long before the bearings.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I always used to have 520s but there is something about them goes a bit “baggy” after a few years. They just stop feeling quite as positive. I tried 540s and reckon they are “nicer” by just the right amount. The second best bargain in cycling!

snownrock

£15 per 3k miles, what’s wrong with that? They repair very easily too.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘M520 SPD – more durable alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.