• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by IA.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • m4/3 camera help required
  • chomp
    Free Member

I’ve just come into possession of a Olympus EPL-1 camera (with no lenses).

Being totally new to all things photographic other than a point and shoot/phone camera I’m befuddled by the options that are available.

I have two scenarios that I can see it being used in . .

a) with family on hols etc – wife & kids will prob use it so auto focus would be a bonus

b) me using it out and about – taking pictures of random stuff (would like the ability to take macro shots but not essential and can wait).

I’m happy (and in fact looking forward) to fiddle about with focus and aperture etc but when it comes to family pics I’d sooner let the camera do it’s thing.

Can someone suggest what I should be looking for (approx costs also as while the camera was given to me, I don’t want to shell out loadsa money)

Defender
    Free Member

I think you’ll be best off with a zoom lens, the ‘kit’ lens that could have come with it would be a 14 – 42mm.
    These can be found on a well known on line auction site for less than £50.
    Make sure you get the Micro 4/3’s and NOT a 4/3’s offering as that will need an adaptor mount to work with your EPL-1.
    Good luck with it, they are a very capable camera and should give you some good results.
    HTH’s?

chomp
    Free Member

that’s a great help

I’ll have a hunt on that auction site for the kit lens to start me off

brassneck

That 14-42 is what came with my Panasonic, and it’s definitely a good starting place. I’d like to get a pancake one for a play if I could find one cheap enough, but the 14-42 actually does everything I need it too.

Mowgli
    Free Member

The Oly 12-50 has a little more range, and the colour might match the camera better (does that matter?) but it’s physically a little larger and pricier than the Panasonic 14-42. Both are good to get started with though.

I started with the 14-42 on my GX7, now got the 20, 45-150 and a 9-18 which covers pretty much everything 😀

chomp
    Free Member

Popped into a camera shop today who suggested that getting a m4/3 -> OM adapter and a 50 to play around with while I wait to find a reasonable kit lens from somewhere

I might do that today and have a play this weekend . . ..

IA

If you want a manual lens to play with on the cheap, get a mu43-> canon FD mount.

Cos the old canon FD lenses don’t work on digital, no one wants them and you can get them for peanuts. They work fine on mu43 with an adapter tho 🙂

+1 on an oly kit lens cheap BTW. I really like the oly 17/2.8 too for a compact general purpose prime (no zoom) lens, pick them up for about £100.

http://www.mu-43.com/forum.php

is basically STW for mu43 cameras BTW. The classifieds is decent, had a couple of things off there. Post a wtd for an oly kit lens, lots of people buy the kits for a second body and therefore end up selling a kit lens.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘m4/3 camera help required’ is closed to new replies.