Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • M4 traffic congestion to Wales .. help?
  • Munqe-chick
    Free Member

So I was planning on going back to Cardiff tonight from Oxford however I’ve found out Oasis are playing at Millenium Stadium. Is this going to mean it takes us 5 hours to get home!? They don’t start playing until 2030 hours and I Was looking to leave Oxford at 1930 ish however I have heard previous horror stories of M4 being chokka and people missing their concert as it is so horrific.

Any suggestions!?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Check the traffic reports on the AA website?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

AA website isn’t working on my computer and don’t seem to be able to find a comprehensive website that is telling me!

kimbers

dont worry about the traffic

you gotta roll with it

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think you’ll be fine Munqe. There are so many horror stories about concerts at the millenium that most people get there in plenty of time these days. If you’re not leaving Oxford till 1930, you won’t be hitting Caerdydd till around 9ish anyway so the traffic will have died down by then.

theflatboy
    Free Member

after a while most of it will slide away

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

That’s what I was thinking DeadlyD but I’ve been stuck in that horrific traffic before but I’m thinking that time I left around 3pm. Thinking I’ll wait to leave until 1930-2000 then I can just see the queues going home t’other way. Oh an I guess if I listen to 5five travel before hand that’ll clear it all up!
    Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I took the M4 to Bristol last Friday, at about 5.30. It was a bit slow around Reading where we joined (30-40mph, 3-4 miles) but after that it was empty. I drove that section of the M4 2-4 times a week for 2 years recently, there’s VERY rarely any traffic at all, TBH
    🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Go round the houses, Lydney Chepstow up to Usk Abergavenney, Heads of the Valleys and down the A470 to Cardiff.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I was thinking of going x country but not sure if I could remember it now after all these years! Think I’ll have to get the map out when I get home.

FuzzyWuzzy

Never had too much trouble getting past Cardiff on the M4 whilst events have been on, it’s always going back the other way I get stuck. Oh and whoever decided to make it a permanent 50mph zone after Newport needs a kick up the ass, it’s a 3 lane motorway FFS

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I thought! I’m guessing consensus is it wil be okay

Pigface
    Free Member

From Oxford it is easy peasy A40 all the way to Gloucester then down to Chepstow on the A48 cut across to Usk on a B I think it is the 4235 then Aber Gilwern Brynmawr and on to Merthyr.

aracer
    Free Member

Much better surely to stay on the A40 all the way to Abergavenny (via Ross, Monmouth).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s beginning to sound like tea-break at a sales reps meeting now…

“no mate, you didn’t want to come that way, you should have…”

mrchrispy

check out http://www.frixo.com/m4-west.asp for traffic. gives average speeds at all the junctions and reports of incidents.

highways agency has started doing something similar.
    both much better that the AA or RAC web sites.

Rich
    Free Member

check out http://www.frixo.com/m4-west.asp for traffic

Great site thanks, I’ll use that in the future!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Mmmm currently 11 mile tail backs on the M4 at the Severn Bridge! Wonder if they’ll clear by 9pm!!! Will have to keep listening to the news fingers crossed!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wonder if they’ll clear by 9pm!!! Will have to keep listening to the news fingers crossed!

They will.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Really!! mm thinking we may jsut leave in half an hour or so and go x country all the way instead! Only 2 miles longer in distance just will take a little longer!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Honestly, it’ll be fine. Don’t fret! Think positive.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘M4 traffic congestion to Wales .. help?’ is closed to new replies.