Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • M & S Contents Renewal
  • granny_ring

Anyone renewed with them recently?

Mine is due next month and wondered if they still allow existing customers the £2k bike limit?

Thanks.

nemesis
    Free Member

November so not that recently but it was 2k for existing customers back then.

boblo
    Free Member

Just don’t let it expire or they won’t renew under current terms.

Rickos
    Free Member

In April I switched from M&S to John Lewis, their Premium version. Saved about £150 and still put my bikes (replacement values) on there too.

Onzadog
    Free Member

NFU for us after years with M&S. They’re just no longer competitive.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I went back to m and s after a break and specified all my bikes as they were over the set value. It still worked out cheaper with away from home and accidental damage cover than bike specific policies and separate cheaper house insurance. It’s worth getting a quote you’re not obliged to take cover up with anyone!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Switched to The AA. I think they want to know about bikes over £1k and there’s a limit for total specified bikes but worked out way cheaper than we had been paying with M&S

soulrider
    Free Member

NFU have been great for us after M&S priced us out of their cover on the old terms.

Rickos
    Free Member

Just use one of the comparison sites as they’ll usually ask about extras like bikes so you get proper quotes. I used that Meerkat one.

granny_ring

Thanks for replies.
    I will look at other options as I did last year but found once you compare the new for old cover, shed cover and away from home cover of the M&S policy to the others, which maybe cheaper, they didn’t offer the same comparison of cover.

So anyone renewed with M&S since Nov last year?

granny_ring

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Better cover and half the price with esure, having been with M&S for a few years. Premium went up and up so we voted with our feet. I now have both bikes specified at suitably large amounts, so feel a lot happier of anything were to happen. Insurers prey on the lackadaisical. Got a hefty chunk of cash back with TopCashback too – which ironically we withdrew with a 5% bonus as M&S vouchers…

toys19
    Free Member

Insurers prey on the lackadaisical.

This^^ is how they make money out of me ..

granny_ring

Hear what you’re saying. One of the advantages for me with M&S is that my bikes always come under the £2k mark as they are a build up with 2nd hand frames and I like to chop and change so not having to specify each bike is a bonus.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’ve valued mine at more than £2k and they are all ‘builds’. Frame numbers are specified and the cover appears a lot better now I’m specifying the high value items.

ransos
    Free Member

John Lewis were more expensive for me than my M&S renewal.

Tracey

March and yes

granny_ring

Still £2k bike limit Tracey?

Tracey

Yes on ours, all the ones under 2k dont need to be specified. The ones above need to be named on the policy.

Speshpaul

Try the AA.

hatter

Was with M&S for many years but have now switched to hiscox, they were considerably cheaper than M&S under the new terms.

8 years, no claims, and they just seemed utterly uninterested in retaining my business, seems a touch daft.

granny_ring

Do these other alternatives offer the same benefits as M&S?

Rich
    Free Member

The thing that put me off AA was the garage or outbuildings had a total claim limit of £3000.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The thing that put me off AA was the garage or outbuildings had a total claim limit of £3000.

Ah – hadn’t clocked that. Not relevant for me at the moment but might be in future

granny_ring

Just had the M&S renewal through and it’s gone up £12, so think I can live with that!

john_l
    Free Member

Just got our m&s renewal – appear to have saved £472 by switching to Hastings Direct, with all bikes specified. Will check policy small print when it comes through.

johnners
    Free Member

One of the advantages for me with M&S is that my bikes always come under the £2k mark as they are a build up with 2nd hand frames and I like to chop and change so not having to specify each bike is a bonus.

Be careful with that, you may find they price up the replacement cost using new items and find you’re under-insured.

granny_ring

I got an email confirmation last year from M&S about how they price up the valuation. As I bought my frames 2nd hand they would be priced as that and not for the valuation of a new equivalent frame. Therefore with the build of new & 2nd parts brings the bikes to under £2k.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I got my renewal quote from M&S which was very high this year. I got a quote from John Lewis that was just over half the price. I had to specify all bikes over a grand, which I did.

Unfortunately I have had to test the insurance recently as we got our shed robbed. Fortunately, I found John Lewis to be excellent. They replaced my partner’s road bike with the current model immediately. For my mountain bike I sent a spreadsheet in with the list of components (most of which I had purchased 2nd hand) and they calculated the cost of all the items new, and transferred the money straight into my bank account (£2,200 even though I had only specified the bike to be worth £2k).

When M&S renew, get yourself a quote from JL to see how it matches up – I’d highly recommend them.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘M & S Contents Renewal’ is closed to new replies.