Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lyriks on a DW 5spot?
  • Gnnr

Anyone running this combo like to comment on performance / weight penalty etc.

Currently ridding the 5spot with Magura Thor's but like the idea of the U-turn coil Lyriks. I'm interested to see if folk have noticed the extra weight when climbing. I'm based in Scotland so mainly riding at GT & Inners but with trips to Laggan planned later in the year.

Could I get away with them as an all year round fork or would they be overkill?
    I'm on a large spot and weigh in at 15.5st – 6ft1 so I'm guessing the extra weight may not be that noticeable (before you flame me for being a fat knacker… I am doing well with the weight loss, albeit slow and steady! target weight 14.5st)

Feel that the bike could justify something beefier (not me for a change)…. Cheers G

rs
    Free Member

you'll be fine, probably won't even notice the extra weight.

mafiafish
    Free Member

yeahj the axle to crown on the lyriks is pretty low, don't get 2 steps though.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Axle to crown on the Lyrik is 545mm. I'm not 100% sure of the a2c on the Thors but a Fox 32 150 is 520mm so likely the Thor is at least that if not lower. You could be adding upwards of 25mm to your front end if you run the Lyriks at full height, which would knock a degree off your head angle and raise your BB slightly. You will certainly notice that and you may find the 5-spot is not warrantied for that amount of fork travel.

The weight increase is significant; around 1.5lbs or c.700g. You will notice the weight as it's a pretty significant gain; whether that bothers you or not is a different question and would depend on the overall weight of the bike as it currently stands. I guess if it's already well under 30lbs then probably it will make little difference, but I find that every extra pound over 30lbs seems to feel a lot heavier (if that makes any sense).

The height issue can be adjusted by the coil u-turn facility so then it comes down to stiffness and damping as benefits for the change. For riding big country trails I am sure you will feel the added stifness and I imagine the damping will be better on the Lyriks (I run a set myself but not on a 5-spot), but I've only ridden the Thors once. The Lyriks damping is great and very adjustable. The gate feature does work well and allows you to stiffen the front end up but set an adjustable level at which that platform will 'blow off'. It's not something I use a lot but it does have its place.

There are a set of new coil u-turn Lyriks at Freeborn for £400 I believe. Call them and check as that's a bargain price – 01403 251 252

heihei

Do it! The DW Spot is warranteed for 160mm forks and IMHO rides all the better with them. The relaxed head angle gives a bit more confidence for drops, jumps, etc and the higher bb isn't really noticable.

When I first built mine I ran Lyrics before swapping to 36 Floats to lose a bit of weight. Otherwise they were awesome.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Been running a Lyrik on my DW Spot for a year now. Love it.
    There is no warranty issue as DT said he beefed up the headtube to take these forks. Also the weight increase isn't that much, if you're anal about such things lose a few pounds or have a dump before you ride. The anti-squat on the DW Spot stops the back wallowing so the front end doesn't slacken even more.

I think some people over analyse… Try one. If you like it just get out and ride it.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I have a Lyrik on mine too. Its a solo air lowered to 145mm, feels just right at that height.

radoggair
    Free Member

i have a lyric on mine too( HL version). Its coil and lowered to 146mm, feels just right and crucially 1mm more than duggie style. It makes alot of difference and i regularly overtake him doing wheelies, cross ups and even sitting on the handlebars pedalling backwards. 😛

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lyriks on a DW 5spot?’ is closed to new replies.