Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Lyriks – Not getting much travel!
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Serviced these last week, but was limited to stripping, cleaning, replacing the oil and generally having a look about. All looked ok and they feel much smoother now, but I’m not getting much more than half the travel before they ramp right up and stop moving.

I suspect that the seal that stops the oil from flowing from the right hand leg upper into the right hand leg lower is leaking, fluid is sat int he bottom of the fork and stopping it working.

Is this the likely cause and does anyone know what this seal is called or a part number and if it can be bought singly?

Thanks.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Possibly, but I don’t know for sure what off that page I’d need, damper service kit?

It’s a set of 2009 Coil U-Turns BTW.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    LoCo
    Free Member

Have the seal head seals ( the divider between uppers and lowers) available separatly 😀

I_Ache
    Free Member

LoCo while you are on and this is only slightly OT. What is it in Lyrik 2 steps that stops the travel adjust working properly. Can the problem be fixed with the 2 step service kit on the TF site?

And Paulrockliffe it is the Damper service kit that you need, well the 2 o rings that fit at the bottom but you may as well do the whole thing if you have to take it apart.

LoCo
    Free Member

Blown seals so yes, and have all of those in stock too 😀

I_Ache
    Free Member

So it is possible to do a home fix on it. That’s a good thing to bear in mind. Knowing that its a simple blown seal that causes all these 2 step problems belittles all those people moaning about the failures.

LoCo
    Free Member

Well, generally a blown seal will be the cause, however this may not always be the case.

Northwind

I_Ache – Member

Knowing that its a simple blown seal that causes all these 2 step problems belittles all those people moaning about the failures.

Uh, what? So it’s OK that they’re terribly unreliable, because it’s not too expensive or too massively complex to fix?

LoCo
    Free Member

Just looked as this again, wording did seem a little strange, was there an insinuation that there was any belittlement on my part?

The meaning was that seals are available 😕

Northwind

If that was at me- my post was totally aimed at I_Ache. You on the other hand are a gentleman and a scholar and helped me replace the incontinent 2-step in my Lyriks so now I can depend on them not popping mid-ride or while parked in the garage. But apparently it belittles me to complain about that 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

no no I was refering to the belittlement of failures post. The travel adjustable forks of the 2 step and dual position do appear to have a few ‘issues’

twohats
    Free Member

Best thing you can do with a 2 step Lyrik to make it reliable is convert it to a coil u-turn!

Northwind

Yup 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh dear I didn’t mean to cause such confusion.

I’m sure that 2 step failures have got a worse rep than they deserve in the same way that fox stantions do. Its just that if a simple seal has blown then its not the end of the world and is actually pretty easy to fix yourself rather than sending the forks to fishers and having them do it. Granted it costs a bit more but for the lack of hassle and speed I think its worth it. Yes they shouldn’t fail but shit happens and its how easy/hard/expensive things are to fix when they do fail that is also important to me. RS and Fishers make all these parts available to the public so they can do home servicing and fix stuff themselves you wont catch other manufactures/distributors doing that.

And finally to suck up to LoCo. There was no intention to make you sound bad or to put words into your mouth. You have been very helpful to me in the past and I appreciate all the help you give on this forum and by private email. Just one quick question is the dual position the same as 2 step but with a different name?

LoCo
    Free Member

Thats ok, it’s the trouble with forums (fori plural?) somethings are lost in translation, I was more worried that my comments may have been misconstrued (sp?) 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Lyriks – Not getting much travel!’ is closed to new replies.