• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lyrik service issues
  • johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Hi all, yesterday I decided to give my lyriks a service, all was running well but with upcoming events I decided to strip down the fork and clean the seals. This has brought 2 problems. First i have noticed what appears to be the beginnings of stanchion wear in the form of a line running vertically, a line which appears to coincide with the bushing grooves. The forks are just coming up to a year old so anyone else have such issues? Second is during the strip down I decided to just replace the seals since I was replacing all the oil. Now on putting them back together they dont feel smooth anymore. Hard to describe, a bit likes stiction but at various places along the stroke. I have taken them apart again but cant find anything wrong so put back together but still the same. It might just be new seals that need to bed in but I am a bit reluctant to ride them in case something isn’t right.

The forks are 2013 Lyrik rc2l dual position.

Any help or advice appreciated here, dont really want to send it to tf tuned for nothing but forks are too expensive to bugger up these days.

John

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Grooves inline with the bushes i common when they’re starting to wear.
    tbh sounds like they needed servicing before now.

Sticking at various points through the travel-did you lube everything up before you put them back together?
    I haven’t had it with the latest RS, but with some forks I’ve found it to be as simple as lack of lubrication, either in the lowers or on the glide rings etc.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

They are looked after and this is the very first sight of it. The line is so faint it wouldn’t come out in a photo. It can be seen only if you catch it in the right light so very early days but I have seen bushing wear before and know when it starts it can quickly develop into new CSU.

It was just a lowers drop, clean and re-oil. And everything was done as per the rockshox tech manual. I have done this before without any issues to Pikes.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

No idea then without seeing them.
    Sounds like a trip to TFT/J-Tech/Loco/Sram et al.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Has anyone else had any issues with stachion/bushing wear so early on with lyriks?

mikemountainbike
    Free Member

Hi Johnny
    I have come across 3 other sets of Lyriks with similar premature stanchion wear.
    All sets had been looked after and cleaned after every ride. Mine went within 12 myths after a lower leg drop and seal clean.

I’m soon to launch a business specializing in suspensions solutions. You probably already know a new CSU from rock shox cost around £280-£300 did you know that RS don’t recommend servicing lower fork legs ie they don’t advocate changing the du bushings?

Feel free to give me a call re options if you are interested in a sensible solution cheers mike

Suspension Regeneration Technologies 01539 623520

LoCo
    Free Member

As already mentioned the stantions have worn, bushes are probably worn too which may be contributing to the stickyness and movement (if present)
    Not point in replacing the lower leg bushings as this doesn’t generally work and is expsensive, this also goes for the upper legs.
    I’d suggest regular lower oil changes and change of seal in the spring and damper legs along with the oil and grease.
    Basically service keep up to date with servicng and use them till they die as proper repair (new upper & lowers and labour) will cost more than a new set of forks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik service issues’ is closed to new replies.