Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Lyrik Rebound damper issue.
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Has anyone had one that has failed? A few phone calls this morning suggest I need to replace it to fix the topping out/clunking and loss of rebound damping.

But at £97.00 its a bit steep 🙁

Obviously would rather not have to buy one but if its goosed I’ll have to. One place mentioned I could service the fork with them and they can assess it and maybe fix it but if not there would be an additional charge for the part which basically would mean doubling it. I can take them apart fine and service oil etc.

GRRRRRR bloody bikes

sv

Have you tried Simon at Loco? He is very helpful.

Rorschach
    Free Member

The rebound circuit on Lyriks is just a closed orifice (oo err missus) basically a hole you make bigger or smaller with no shims (unless its black box).Likely to be a seal that has failed so the oil is bypassing the rebound circuit.Buy a damper service kit from Tf and do it yourself,theres manuals on the Sram site.Its no biggy,they’re only rubber o-rings.Just be methodical and clean.
    Unless you’ve damaged the damper rod of course….fairly unlikely.

carbon337
    Free Member

It was TF who said the seal kit will be no use. That was my initial plan – service kit and O-ring – apparently if it was the o-ring that was allowing oil through then i wouldnt have full travel – and I appear to have full travel.

I was gona do this full mission control service.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMN8sM5OHRg[/video]

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bugger…..I’d take Flook’s word for it.He’s bigger than me 😉

mildred

I had this exact thing recently. Luckily mine were under warranty so were sent to Fishers and were back within the week fully working. I was told that the damper rod just comes loose (hence the clunking) and is a common fault that is easy to fix; once done doesn’t re-occur.

Apparantly a known fault; send it to fishers and see if they’ll sort it out gratis. Mine were away 3 days.

rickon
    Free Member

Personally – I’d give Simon at Loco Tuning a call, he’ll sort you out – and it wont cost the earth.

carbon337
    Free Member

Think ive found the answer – there was no oil in the damper area. Although there was a load in the lower beneath it.

I will start by trying a seal kit and see if the new o-rings seal it all up. New oil and seals tomorrow so we’ll see soon enough.

jedi

call joe carter at sram service center for advice

carbon337
    Free Member

Jedi – where do I find him abouts?

jedi

ring them and ask for him.

jedi

carbon337, did you get hold of him?

carbon337
    Free Member

No he wasn’t in, spoke with a ben though. He reckons try seals if that doesn’t work send them into them. I need bike though no use not riding in this weather.

jedi

i spoke to him yesterday! 🙂

carbon337
    Free Member

Mmmm the woman claimed that he had gone home. Dont suppose you asked him about oil release into lowers from damper area for me did you?

jedi

no i forgot. i asked about another issue. i was using an old maxle on a 2010 lyric 🙂

carbon337
    Free Member

If anyone is interested or searching for faults in the future. The TF Tuned Damper service kit comes with loads of bits for £21.00.

It contained a damper tube top (outer) and bottom (inner smaller) seal – changing these and new oil has resolved the topping out clunking, lack of rebound and lack of full travel.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik Rebound damper issue.’ is closed to new replies.