Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lyrik fractured lowers behind bolts?
  • lyrikal
    Free Member

As last couple of rides I’ve noticed a bit of the paint has come off the lowers of my lyriks just behind the flat spot where the spring rod bolt sits. This paint is off both sides but I’ve noticed a bit of what looks like oil seeping out on the coil side

Anyone experienced this? I was thinking it might be worth trying a repair by finding the extent of the crack (if it is a crack), drilling out small stress release holes and getting a good alloy welder to weld over the fracture. It’s an 09 set of forks so I can’t get replacement lowers.

Opinions appreciated

khani
    Free Member

The lowers are magnesium, no welding is going to work on them I’m afraid, new lowers or forks I reckon.
    Sorry..
    Edit, if you can’t see a crack try new crush washers on the lower bolts, they act as seals to stop leaking so might be nackerd and letting oil out.

cynic-al
    Free Member

“Welding”…aren’t they magnesium?

raisinhat
    Free Member

Either strip them down and take a look yourself, or send them away for a service to check if the damage is actually there. If the lowers are cracked, you’ll either need to buy some new ones, or some new forks unfortunately.

thickens
    Free Member

If you need new lowers for 09 lyriks i have some spair.
    i had a set on my remedy.
    i blew the compression cylinder through the circlip on the bottom of the stanchions so flared out when we pulled the crown assembly out to investigate, it splayed the end of stanchions and scratched the bushings.
    so they may need new bushings but your welcome to have them.
    black 09 post mount 20mm if it helps

lyrikal
    Free Member

Sure of course they are magnesium, ignore the blonde moment there!!!

Ill email you thickens, going to les arcs in the summer and you just know they won’t get any worse until the first day there.

It’s not the crush washer, I have a new one on there and there is no oil evident between the bolt and the paint crack. I suppose it could be seeping below the paint but unlikely

beagle
    Free Member

If the op doesnt have the lowers – i’d be very interested. I have a similar problem, but a failing helicoil is doing my nut in!!

Do drop me a line if it works out: loamy23 at hotmail dot com with a price. I have some spare bushings somewhere too!

Ta

lyrikal
    Free Member

Failing helicoil doing your nut in!!! See what you did there!!

munrobiker
    Free Member

This happened to mine in a massive crash on the Megavalanche qualifier course. Rockshox replaced them for free despite them being out of warranty. Very good service but if you do need a set you can have mine for a small amount (just killed the uppers).

Northwind

lyrikal – Member

Ill email you thickens, going to les arcs in the summer and you just know they won’t get any worse until the first day there.

Stevo from The White Room has a set of Lyriks in the shed, of which absolutely everything seems to be shagged apart from the lowers. You 2 should totes hook up.

Burts
    Free Member

Had the same issue on my 08 Lyriks U-Turns. Had a few hairy DH rides with oil on the disc until I found the source.

When fixing mine I found a set of Domain lowers, which are the same apart from different colour/graphics. My local shop swapped them over for me.

BTW, seems to be more than a few with this issue:

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/anyone-ever-crack-lyrik-lower-749442.html

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tbh in situations like this it’s always worth dropping the importer a call. If they have the spares they might be happy to let them go cheap.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik fractured lowers behind bolts?’ is closed to new replies.