Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Lyrik curious, convince me please
  • chrisdiesel
    Free Member

I’m changing from 26 to 27.5, and have some brand new pikes to fit but I’m hesitating because I fancy trying lyriks, both 160mm I’ve read a few reviews and a few threads on here.
    So who’s had/ridden both? Any real world user input welcome.
    Thanks

cyclelife
    Free Member

Got both in our household, for the slight extra weight the Lyriks are far superior in both stiffness and sensitivity to small bumps.i will not buy Pikesto save max 200g as the Lyriks are great. Just upped mine to 170mm 😉

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply, that’s what I wanted to hear.

hainman
    Free Member

I ran Pikes for two years on my Reign and recently upgraded to a bird Aeris with 160mm Lyrics and they are so much smoother and plusher than the Pikes and on the build of the Aeris they were the same price which was a no brainer

julians
    Free Member

Used to have 160mm pike rct3,now have 170mm lyrik rct3.

The lyriks are noticeably better,definitely worth getting

benpinnick

Aye agree with all the above. Unless weight is your number 1 priority at 160mm the Lyrik is a better fork.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Lyriks and Pikes in my household, the stiffness is a bit overated – it’s noticeable but it effects the feel as opposed to control. The Lyriks solo air spring doesn’t bind up so easily either, due to the fork being a bit stiffer and thus it’s a bit more supple under high loads as well being more supple all round due to the negative spring.

However, I put a coil in the Pikes and they now weigh around the same as the Lyriks – but are more controlled and more sensitive.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/pike-coil-conversion-quick-first-ride-review

I prefer the coil pike to the stiffer air Lyrik, for a target weight of 2000 grams – it’s the better fork despite being a little less stiff.

Out of interest, why would one “upgrade” from a Reign to an Aeris?

chakaping
    Free Member

Lyriks are far superior in both stiffness and sensitivity to small bumps.

+1

They might only have made a few little changes from the Pike, but it’s a much better fork as a result.

Doesn’t seem to get out of shape like the Pike can sometimes.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

The 170mm version is only as stiff as a 160mm pike according to SRAM….they really arent that much stiffer.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, I’ve pressed the button, ordered a 160mm version, anyone want to buy a boxed brand new pike 160mm 27.5 £450

RickDraper
    Free Member

The 170mm version is only as stiff as a 160mm pike according to SRAM….they really arent that much stiffer.

Got a link to that info?

RickDraper
    Free Member

Without revealing the exact numbers to us, RockShox did tell us that in terms of frontal impact stiffness, a 180mm 27.5” Lyrik is as stiff as a 160mm Pike of the same wheel size.

Thats all I can find.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Ahhh 180mm…..my fault! Bet that figure drops if youre not using the torque caps though, althougg perhaps they stiffen twisting motions as opposed to fore and aft flex.

chakaping
    Free Member

The important thing is that it feels just right on the trail, neither too flexy or too stiff.

psycorp
    Free Member

Out of interest, why would one “upgrade” from a Reign to an Aeris?

Out of interest why wouldn’t one?

legend
    Free Member

Out of interest why wouldn’t one?

He’s questioning what makes that move an upgrade

Northwind

I’m quite light so that’ll colour it but I couldn’t tell any meaningful difference in stiffness between the new Lyriks, my Pikes, my 36s, or my oldschool lyriks. Or my boxxers for that matter. All way up into “stiff enough to make no odds” territority. I’d be interested to find how many people would perceive a difference in a blind test tbh. I know my mate who’s convinced there’s a bushing bind difference, didn’t think that til he read about bushing bind on pinkbike…

The new lyrik does seem to have slightly better small bump/reactivity than the pike. I didn’t really think the new lyrik was amazing for it either tbf, but then, I rode everywhere on an old coil lyrik for years so that may influence this; everything airsprung is just varying degrees of worse 😆 By some accounts, the major difference here is the negative air spring, and that can be emulated by machining down the bottom out bumper in the pike- not something I’ve done, I planned to before i replaced my Pikes.

Soooo… What’s your point of reference? Have you found stiffness issues in other burly forks? Or for that matter have you ever used something noodly like a long 32?

teethgrinder

Is there a link to the bottom out bumper mod anywhere? I’d guess you could take 10mm off or so, but them would the travel not increase 10mm? A 160mm Pike at 170mm would be too flexy I’d have tought.

Northwind

Oops, I think I mis-spoke, I’ve a feeling it’s a top-out rather than bottom-out bumper. I’ve not seen an online guide but it’s a pretty straightforward concept, it takes up a bit of volume in the negative chamber so reducing its volume will increase air volume. It’s an easily replaced part so I was happy enough to just dive in and experiment 😆 But I’ve replaced them now so I’ll not be getting into it.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik curious, convince me please’ is closed to new replies.