Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lyrik (air) vs Totem (coil) vs fox 36 (coil)
  • deanfbm
    Free Member

So currently got lyrik solo air rc2dh on my entourage, they’re pretty good to be fair, but pikes on my trail bike sort of show them up a little bit.

As i say the lyriks are fine, but certainly aware im playing that game that comes with the slightly inferior air spring, getting that initial suppleness/mid stroke support (ie no diving) compromise sorted, something i feel a coil fork will sort out. Tried playing with some pike bottomless tokens in my lyrik, didnt quite get where i wanted them.

Will a coil totem feel drastically better? (i dont mind the weight gains)

Fox 36 RC2 that much better to warrant purchase over the totem? (100g lighter, so weight unimportant)

Anyone ridden any of these back to back?

tomhoward

Boxxer with the charger damper? Might be a bit spendy though…

chvck
    Free Member

Could just buy a coil and stick that in the lyriks?

legend
    Free Member

chvck – Member

Could just buy a coil and stick that in the lyriks?

That would be the obvious thing to do. All the parts will likely come to around £60

deanfbm
    Free Member

Coil conversion is £120ish all in.

legend
    Free Member

For a spring and rod assembly? Never paid that much to convert a Boxxer or a Revelation. It’s definitely not a job worth send a fork away for, takes around 10mins.

chvck
    Free Member

It’s just coil, bottom out bumper and the uturn knob assembly (if you need it)? I paid a lot less than that I think – was a while ago though.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Seriously, it is £120ish to do the conversion. You have to buy a top cap/preload spacers (£20ish), spring (£40ish), push rod (£20ish), top out spring assy (£20ish), liner (£10ish), it soon adds up. It’s half way to a set of used good totems.

u-turn does work out a bit cheaper, but im after 170 fixed travel.

legend
    Free Member

U-turn or dual-position (the latter which will give the same performance as fixed anyway, if the do a Lyrik one) should be £60-70 for everything you need. On Revs you can just use the top out spring from the air spring assy – would be surprised if you couldn’t bodge something similar.

Is there a reason you cant just use the air top cap with the coil spring? Worked for me on my old Boxxer.

Liner?

deanfbm
    Free Member

The revs you worked on must have been ancient, there’s been no top out springs in solo air assemblies in forever, there is the negative chamber though, that won’t work.

U-turn springs aren’t 170mm.

Air top cap is usable, but would still need preload spacers.

The liner lines the inside surface of the leg, stop scratches from the coil and knocking.

It’s not like i haven’t looked into it.

legend
    Free Member

Nope, there’s a top out bumper in there too – works grand. And they were dual-airs which made the change even more welcome.

You might find you dont need preload spacers as the top cap goes deeper than the normal coil one – I ended up trimming mine down

The liner isn’t necessary. Admittedly if they started knocking it’d be annoying, but the likes 36s survive with just a piece of heatshrink over the spring, which moves almost instantly becoming useless anyway.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik (air) vs Totem (coil) vs fox 36 (coil)’ is closed to new replies.