Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lyrik 2016 180mm – Solo Air Vs Dual Position
  • bogdan27
    Free Member

I’m currently in the process of buying another bike and I can choose between a Lyrik 180 Solo air and a Dual position 180 – 150 mm . Bike is Propain Spindrift with 180 travel in the back and 64.5 head angle. My previous bike had a Pike RCT3 DPA – 160 – 130mm and I liked it , lowering the front on my previous Jekyll actually helped on long steep climbs. Since with the newer dual position you can add tokens in theory it should be better. My brother has on his Genius LT a 180 DPA Lyrik and also worked flawlessly.

Therefore do you think there could be any drawbacks for choosing again DPA ?

The Solo has a better damper IIRC and the climb switch almost locks it out, so that helps with climbing. However, if the bike has a wandery front end, then you may feel like you need travel adjust – it is pretty slack

bogdan27
    Free Member

Damper related , their both the same so no difference on the right side of the fork.

chiefgrooveguru

A lot of enduro bikes have such a low BB height that dropping the fork for steeper angles when climbing just means you pedal strike constantly. And some suspension systems work worse once the bike is tipped forwards like that.

peaslaker
    Free Member

RC damper is an entirely capable Charger damper with exactly the same rebound circuits and exactly the same adjustable LSC. The compression circuit on an RC doesn’t have extra RCT3 fandangos for preset (marmite) pedal and lockout settings. Nothing to do with DPA though.

Aftermarket, everything is likely to be RCT3 so the spring layout is the only difference.

The performance compromises of DPA vs Solo springs aren’t explained well anywhere. Bottomless tokens for DPA are now available (backwards compatible to all DPA Pikes, btw) but whether you’d want to use any is moot.

Complexity vs reliability: I am immensely grateful for the timing of this thread because it has just jogged my memory that the behaviour I am currently seeing on my DPA Pike is a repeat of a glitch it had back in May. Something gets screwed up in the air spring and the fork is unable to use the last 25mm of travel in the full extension mode.

On practice day for an Enduro, I’d been using the lowered position for extended climbs (I never usually touch the feature) and the fork started not using its travel. I fixed it overnight by pulling the top cap and DPA shaft. I didn’t get to find out exactly what had glitched in it, but that experience was enough for me to not use the lowered position ever since. In the last few days out in the Alps I have lost the use of the same 25mm of travel. Hadn’t even connected the two occurrences until replying here. This time I haven’t intentionally been using the lowered position at all. The fork performance is still very good and it now turns out I’ve been hacking down DH runs on a 135mm travel fork.

My experience may be a one-off and not necessarily representative.
    Solo air = simple = good
    RC damper = simple = good, certainly no compromise in basic performance vs RCT3
    RCT3 pedal platform? Not needed by me
    Linearity of air spring DPA vs Solo? no information available
    Usefulness of dual position? Not needed by me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Almost always heard dual position on RS forks is a compromise. In the case of a Lyrik it seems to contradict the purpose of the fork. If you want a travel adjust kind of bike, you’d be more likely to go for Revs or Pikes on a trail/AM bike. Most are looking for AM to DH use from a Lyrik.

Old Lyriks a lot of people even removed the lock out as that supposedly compromised the performance, or there’s the DH version that is basically the same (lock out removed). I’ve got the latter in the old RC2DH. I’ve got the option of a Charger upgrade, but I’m not sure if that would be that much of a benefit. I’d lose one of the compression adjusts and would it be compromised in the same way as the old lock out?

bogdan27
    Free Member

I’ve done the same with my brothers Lyrik, I’ve took the lookout off the damper and now works like rc2dh with high and low speed compression. But I don’t think it’s the case for the charger damper.
    I didn’t mention but never thought it’s the case, both solo and dual position are Rct3 so there exactly the same damper wise.

Anyways never tought there are so many people against adjustability but I reckon this is due to people think it’s complicated and therefore more issues could arrise. As there were 2 forks with DPA on my bikes and I’ve seen the air cartridge in my hands and it’s a simple design but I just wanted to know if someone else had experience with the newer one.

maxtorque

IME, just bolting a set of dual height forks onto a massive, DH optimised bike does not a good climber make!

I run solo 180 lyriks on my Dune and the limitations in climbing have nothing to do with the height of the forks 😆

bogdan27
    Free Member

IME, just bolting a set of dual height forks onto a massive, DH optimised bike does not a good climber make!

Thank you master Yoda 😀 😀

Less pedal then and bombing downs.

barnak
    Free Member

Hey bogdan27.
    So what did you go with?
    Did you choose DPA?
    Im thinkering of the same option you had in mind, 150-180 Lyrik RCT3 DPA.
    I still couldnt find proper opinions or comparations..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik 2016 180mm – Solo Air Vs Dual Position’ is closed to new replies.