Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • lyric help
  • neil853
    Free Member

i'm not getting any where near full travel and there seems to be a positive stop after about 140mm. any ideas?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oil leaking into the lower leg? Common RS fault, easily fixed.

neil853
    Free Member

sorry leaking from where? the dampner? whats the process for repair?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm not saying it's that for definate, but if it is, it will get worse and you'll slowly loose more and more travel as more oil leaks out

_IF_ it is that, then when you remove the lower legs, LOTS of oil will come out of the damping side. (there should be only 15cc in there for lubrication) Basically, remove lowers to check, then drain damping oil from top of damping leg, remove rebound shaft (Push out from below) then remove the 'plug cap' that the rebound shaft slides through and replace both inner and outer O rings on it. Reassembe, refill with oil. There's been a fair few Rebas, Revealtions and Pikes that have had this problem (My Pikes included) but if you're handy with tools, it's an easy and cheap fix. 🙂
    Otherwise, off to TFT with them !

neil853
    Free Member

The length of the fork is still the same if you know what i mean? i hasn't sunk down. i'll take them apart tonight and see what happens. I service them once every month or so and i don't remember lost coming out last time but what you say would make sence with it effectively locking out with too much oil in.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The length of the fork is still the same if you know what i mean? i hasn't sunk down

Yep, that's right. The spring keeps them extended, but IF there is an oil leak, it stops them compressing all the way and they bottom out rather harshly.

neil853
    Free Member

where di you get the o rings from PeterPoddy?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I got mine from simplybearings.co.uk, but you need to be able to measure them up or know the sizes for that. TFTuned sell proper kits, but that's more expensive

neil853
    Free Member

Ah right, well i reckon i'll try TF first and see what the cost is. I presume the fitting has to be exact for the O-rings? not a 'well its about….' type of thing 😉

neil853
    Free Member

Appreciate the help by the way! 😆

stumpy01

yeah – what PP has said.

Although non of the o-rings in my service kit from TFT matched exactly to the ones that came off the white 'plug cap' and I ended up reusing the old ones. Been much better since though, so I probably put it back together a bit more carefully this time.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No worries. 🙂
    Just MAKE SURE there's an oil leak before you try to fix it!

neil853
    Free Member

yeah well like you say it will be obvious if there's a lot more oil coming out won't it. Just looked on the TF website and its about £15 for the dampner seal kit seal kit, not too bad, i already have the service manual.

see what tonight brings i guess. if nothing else i'll do a lower leg removal tonight and give them a clear out. ride them tomorrow then do the proper repair work next week

neil853
    Free Member

well i've stripped them down and there was significantly more oil in the damper side leg, but, after i've cleaned them out, put fresh oil in and re-built them the travel is stil restricted to around 140mm.

do we still think its the damper seals leaking? anybody got an other ideas?

bonfield-jones
    Free Member

Hey,

Is it a solid stop travel problem then you have duffed up the damper. Send them direct to the rock shox service centre, just as good as any aftermarket service centre and they will pick up possible warranty issues with the batch number of your fork.

These guys do this all day everyday, I work in a shop and wouldnt bother doing any fork shock servicing myself for the cost of a courier its peanuts really.

Have fun

neil853
    Free Member

but they are nearly 18 months old? but yes its a solid stop.

neil853
    Free Member

anybody else had these issues with lyrics?

Konastoner
    Free Member

Nope, mine will be 3 years old this Chrimbo and never missed a beat.

With regards your issue neil, drain the all fluids and compress the fork. If you get full travel then you know you've lost a seal on the compression damper side (this is the only side that holds oil on the coils). Buy yourself the damper seal kit from TFT (£15) and you'll be sorted, or you can send your fork to TFT and the seal change will be part of the service. If you do TFT the fork get them to put the 2010 Boxxer seals on, the fork improvement will blow you away!

neil853
    Free Member

With the fork freshly re-built it still has restricted movement. Not really had much luck with these forks like, 2-step packed up in june, not too bothered about that but if there's a more serious damper problem i'm not going to be happy, always had rockshox but these have been problematic to say the least

Konastoner
    Free Member

Try winding out the floodgate all the way to – and pressing the low speed compression adjuster full down. Compress the fork to see if you get extra travel, if you do then it's you Mission Control unit.

neil853
    Free Member

floodgate all the way in or out?

Konastoner
    Free Member

All the way out, if you have no floodgate wound in there is effectively no lockout.

neil853
    Free Member

i've just tried it with it wound in and out and it makes no difference. Looks like i'm going to have to ring fishers tomorrow and see what they say.

Konastoner
    Free Member

I'd give TFT a ring first, they've seen pretty much every issue with Lyriks. Have you tried removing the u-turn assembly and spring and then compressing the fork?

neil853
    Free Member

they are the 2-step airs

Konastoner
    Free Member

Ah, thats the problem then! I thought they were U-Turn coils, your best bet is to have them converted to coil or solo air which TFT will do.

neil853
    Free Member

sorry, whats the problem?

Konastoner
    Free Member

2-steps have an awful reputation for o-ring failure on the air spring which basically leaks air pressure into the lower part of the fork.

Try following this – 2 Step Service

Also TFT mention it on their website -Lyrik FAQ

neil853
    Free Member

The fork does extend properly its just they bottom out at around 140mm. Thanks for that link though! I'll ring TF tomorrow and see what i need to re-build them.

Appreciate the help man

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘lyric help’ is closed to new replies.