Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Lymes Disease
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Oh dear, looks like I've been bitten and had the erythema migrans. I mistook it for a heat rash. It is fading now and I'm off to GP pronto. As I understand it this could be the end of it, or flu like symptoms followed by lots of other nasties are possible.

Any other experiences?

allthegear
    Free Member

Can I have your bike??

(I sooo hope that doesn't come back to haunt me…)

knottie8
    Free Member

I get bitten loads(last weds) and have been tested several times but each time Im ok.Although I have never had a reaction to the bite but plenty of other symtoms. Docs seem reluctant to test for it though.

Garry_Lager

I had a tick on me for >24 hrs once on East Coast USA where lyme is endemic to the deer ticks. Straight down the docs when I realised, course of antibiotics and nothing ever developed. So best of luck.

coffeeking
    Free Member

If it's already fading they probably won't take any notice of you and assume you're a panic merchant, thats exactly what happened with my other half.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The test is expensive and the advice now is not to test unless you get either the distinctive rash or a fever.

Lyme Disease – everything you wanted to know (and stuff you wish you didn’t)

DavidB
    Free Member

althegear – you can take it from my cold dead hand..next month probably

Thanks for the other notes and the links have really made my weekend 🙁

soma_rich
    Free Member

I had no fever or rash but actually had Lymes. I made the Doc get the test as I knew something was wrong. Need to catch it early apparently.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Did you get a pic of the rash or keep the tick? Sounds extreme but they do help convince the doctor. Also, if you keep the tick, I'm sure there's somewhere that tests the tick rather than you.

DavidB
    Free Member

No pictures, no tick. Originally thought it was ringworm

j_me
    Free Member

How many legs did it have?

6 legs means it hasn't had a blood meal yet so you know its not going to give u Lyme's disease.
    8 legs means its had a feed so could be a carrier.

alwyn
    Free Member

I have had lymes disease; I was very young and cannot remember it very well. But my granny has it very badly and for approximately the last 15 years.

My grandad is doctor and has dedicated his retirement to researching lymes disease and new treatments available. He is quite highly regarded and has a huge number of contacts. If you need any information I can give him a bell and he would be more than happy to send you some stuff over. If I recall he has already sent a lot of information to another STW member.

Cougar

I made the Doc get the test as I knew something was wrong.

How did you know something was wrong? Symptoms?

alwyn
    Free Member

The tests are done in Southampton Lab by a Dr. Susan O'Connor. Lyme groups in UK have been complaining about her for years, as she never finds any of them positive, despite some of them (who can afford to) getting positive results from USA.
    Then to add insult to injury no NHS doc will treat them on the results obtained from the USA.

jond
    Free Member

A guy I vaguely knew a few years back – works in forestry – contracted it, don't think he found out for about a year and it did lead to assorted complications – supposedly if it's treated early there's no real issue.

(No idea how that bloke's getting on tho'..)

alwyn
    Free Member

I was treated early and 17 years later I'm fine (I hope).

Tinners

Not all ticks carry Lyme disease but you certainly should see your doctor if you have the rash. I had a tick bite in the spring and developed the rash too. Had antibiotics within 24hrs of that and have been well since. Early treatment is absolutely essential. It really should be treated seriously. It's NOT a trivial rash and Lyme can give you serious long term problems. Well done on your doctor for spotting it and knowing what to do – it's not common in the UK (although probably massively underdiagnosed) and most GPs will not be familiar with it. Testing is not the "be all and end all". It is possible to test negative but still have Lyme. I was initially given an antibiotic called Doxycycline but really couldn't tolerate it due to the nausea (apparently much better if you always take it with food), so I had to have an alternative (Amoxycillin).
    If you get a tick bite, you should remove it properly so that if it happens to be carrying the Lyme bug in its gut, it doesn't puke it into your bloodstream when you startle or squash it (you should compress its mouthpiece with the tweezers so that it doesn't puke as its pulled out).
    Treat it seriously folks and check yourself when you get back from a ride. It's not trivial and it's not as rare as you think. We are the ones who are likely to get it.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

It's not rare in this neck of the woods (Devon, just north east of Dartmoor). Two of my neighbours have had Lymes and our local surgery takes it very seriously indeed.

As noted above, the test is not conclusive and the practice round here, includng advice to one of my riding buddies, seems to be to take the antibiotic course regardless if you have been bitten by a tic and it is showing any sign of rash afterward.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Not all ticks carry Lyme disease

Study by the University of Bath found it was 10%

DavidB
    Free Member

Update:

Dr was very good indeed. Luckily I had some rash still showing so he took it seriously. He took blood samples immediately and I should know full results next week. In the meantime I have some very scary antibiotics for the next two weeks.

2orangey4crows

Had a tick bite back in May following a ride in the Malverns. About a week later the bullseye rash appeared and I was suffering cold-like symptoms.

Went straight to doctors after seeing was pretty insistent about being treated. Docter spent 10 mins online and reading various books, then immediately took some blood and put me on 2 weeks of high Dioxycyclin (made me feel very nauseous even when taken with food).

Blood test was negative (but interesting to read comments above about the testing), and I suspect the cold was just coincidental as the better half had one too. Guess I'll keep my eyes open in case any further symptons materialise!

Was pretty impressed with the doctor to be honest – she took it very seriously… once she'd done some reading!

highclimber
    Free Member

Tick Borne Encephalitis is another concern, particularly on the continent. not sure if its more prevalent than Lymes but potentially concerning as it can be easily missed

Crell
    Free Member

Great timing as that erythema migrans "rash" looks remarkably like what's developing on my leg. I'm off to see the doc!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Lymes Disease’ is closed to new replies.