Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Lyme Regis – what to do?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I'm keen to avoid the obvious tourist traps so any recommendations for things to do in and around Lyme Regis, great pubs, beaches, etc.?

darrell
    Free Member

seems to be topical today – go buy a geology hammer and hunt for fossils

IanMunro
    Free Member

What darrell said. Or reenact the French Lieutenant's Woman.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Take the cliff walk along to Sidmouth and back.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Take a walk down the beach to the end where the cliff is collapsing and look for fossils – thousands of them there. And geodes.

convert

My best day in Lyme Regis:-

Early morning training swim from the town beach and coffee with the lifeguards (cute) as they come on duty.

Breakfast at the Town Mill Bakery

A quick nosy into LR- buy some fresh fish straight off the boats at the local fish mongers just back from the Cobb.

A quick French Lieutenant's Woman impression on the Cobb.

A cheeky trip around the boat building academy to watch the apprentices putting together a traditional clinker built dinghy.

Lunch at the Hive Beach Cafe – Burton Bradstock. (Now that is a bit touristy these days I admit – very busy at the wrong time of day).

Prat around in the surf waiting for the rest of the tourists to go. At dusk all the sea anglers appear casting into the surf from the beach, sharing a beer.

BBQ the fish bought earlier in one of the scalloped "hives" in the cliffs further down the sandy beach. Beer, crashing surf, sunset and a cuddle.

Back in the van for a crafty park up for the night ready to do it all again tomorrow!

takisawa2

Wasnt that taken with the place but it was a stupidly hot day & our little un' was a grumpy teething 7 month old at the time.
    We enjoyed Abbotsford Swannery over towards Weymouth though, that was a good couple of hours. They have a real life bouncing bomb!!! (they were tested behind chisel beach).

higgo
    Free Member

It's at least 10 years since I was last there but we ate in a nice Italian restaurant. If I went back I'd definitely see if it was still there. It was pretty near the front and very small. There was no menu as such but the waiter (owner?) came round telling you what fresh fish he had in and how it could be done. The food was simple but delicious.

Maybe I'm looking back through the misty eyes of time but it's worth checking out.

Harry_the_Spider

We were near there (Sidmouth) with our 20 month old in June. Loads to do up and down the coast. Brilliant holiday.

However, the weather was perfect. If it had pi55ed down it may have been a different prospect.

Nick

Was there a couple of weeks ago, had a good time.

Fossil Hunting – go on a guided tour, ok so it costs, but you avoid looking like an idiot standing below crumbling cliffs, you avoid finding what appear to be fossils but infact when they dry out they crumble to dust etc, plenty of guides, we went with the guy from the fossil shop.

Ghost tour – Tuesday night from the museum, really interesting and good fun.

Didn't go in any pubs in Lyme itself, we were staying in Uplyme and went to the pub there, beer was good (Otter Amber in particular).

Bridport is worth a visit. Axminster isn't, unless you want to Hugh Furnley-Whittingstall's place, which is nice but expensive.

Beer (the village) is nice, we went over for the Regatta, a nice day out is to get there then walk across the cliffs to Branscome, and go to the Mason's Arms, which is probably the best pub in the entire area.

Nick

Oh and the bookshop near the square (where the clock tower is) is worth a visit.

noteeth
    Free Member

Go for a walk along the Undercliff (John Fowles wrote beautifully about this stretch of the coast).

Visit Charmouth (avoid the maaasssive rotational slumps, mind…) and pick up some iron pyrites ammonites – lovely things.

Walk further round the bay, over/past Golden Cap, and stop for a pint at the splendid Anchor Inn, on the beach at Seatown.

Drink lots of Otter Ale.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

They do beach geology/dinosaur walks some days. http://www.fossilwalks.com/
    Make sure you phone up to check though – when we went, it had been cancelled due to a particularly high tide! 🙁

+ what noteeth said.

+ going to abbotsbury swannery, esp. as the ickle baby swans will be growing up & cute n' fluffy, etc…

ransos
    Free Member

Judging by the age of the locals, Lyme Regis is where you go to die.

brassneck

Walk up Golden Cap, highest point on the south coast apparently.

Go to West Bay and pretend to be that Nick Berry in the shorrlived 'Harbour Lights' 🙂

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Beer (the village) is nice, we went over for the Regatta, a nice day out is to get there then walk across the cliffs to Branscome, and go to the Mason's Arms, which is probably the best pub in the entire area.

I have lots of family that live in Beer.

I get to stay there for free. 8)

And the Masons Arms in Branscombe does serve jolly good food and in an amazing coincidence I have an application form in front of me filled out by someone who worked there.

noteeth
    Free Member

The Fountain Head in Branscombe is also a top pub…

MountainMutant
    Free Member

My wife's folks own one of the van's on Brandscombe seafront.

Have been going for the past 12 years and spent two weeks there back in July….the two weeks which rained :O(

Have to say the Mason's Arms is great. Can't beat a ploughman's outside in the sun with many a pint of 'Summa That' or 'Branoc' brewed right by the sea at the Brandscome brewery!

Fountain Head is also good….but too far to walk with kids when I'm half cut ;O)

MM (Grockel)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Lyme Regis – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.