Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lyme Disease – rash and symptoms on a 5 year old
  • geoffj

We found a tick on junior 2 on Wednesday – fully gorged, fell off without any intervention (Mrs J had noticed something, but she and I thought it was a mole and didn’t look too closely).
    Chances are the tick was picked up the previous Sunday. I’ve been on the look out for symproms – flu like, aching, headaches etc., and the bullseye rash to appear, but nothing has yet.
    Except yesterday, and number (5 or six) small purple blotches have appeared in the vicintiy (neck / collar bone area). Still no sickness though.
    I’m going to take her to see the GP tomorrow, but any medics on here able to suggest anything else we should consider?

Ta

Ambrose
    Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Without trying to sound like I’m jumping the gun, I’d seriously consider a visit to a and e tonight, not a gp in the morning. Lyme disease is **** horrible, and id imagine a lot worse for kids.

Or at the very least, contact NHs direct, as above.

jonba
    Free Member

It’s not an accident or an emergency so you’d be better going to a 24hr walk in clinic.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/Emergencyandurgentcareservices/Pages/Walk-incentresSummary.aspx

Edukator
    Free Member

My doctor told me to go straight to a hospital/clinic if I had any symptons following being bitten. I never did get any symptoms thankfully.

flipiddy
    Free Member

Take a pic for records. If it is suspected Lyme disease it will need 30 days of antibiotics as per the ilads guidelines http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/treatment_guidelines_summary.html (see sec23 of PDF download).

It’s not unheard of for some docs to prescribe just 7 days which is by some accounts not long enough. A good quality probiotic is a good idea to ward off any unpleasant side effects.

I am not a medical professional. Just speaking from experience.

geoffj

GP has prescribed 10 days of amoxicillin with review next week. He doubts the blotches are a Lyme response, but the antibiotics should sort out whatever has caused the rash if it is bacterial.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lyme Disease – rash and symptoms on a 5 year old’ is closed to new replies.