Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Lyme Disease – explosion of cases in the US
  • Garry_Lager

It’s curious how the ticks get established in certain areas of the UK but are absent from others. Is it just related to the deer population?
    I’ve never seen one in 5 years riding the dark Peak, and I know riders who’ve ridden the arse out of the place for 20 yrs plus say the same. But a family holiday camping in Exmoor and it’s a cert that one of us will pick up a tick, even just there for a few days.

scotroutes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10419763

A decline in the sheep industry has led to an increase in harmful ticks, the National Farmers’ Union of Scotland (NFUS) has warned.
    Lyme disease, an infection that can cause arthritis if untreated, can be transmitted to humans through a tick bite.
    The NFUS said sheep act as a “mop” as ticks attach themselves to the animals as they graze.
    Sheep also keep down long grass which ticks use to reach anything passing by.

That’s a 2010 article but it still seems relevant.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m sorry,I didn’t realise that anecdotes are more authorative than opinion.

No one suggested that they were.

Good data always beats either. Though at a pinch – if data for (let’s say) a tick population had to be built from samples of either:

A. Anecdotes
    or
    B. Random opinions

Which would you choose?

Viewing 3 posts - 41 through 43 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Lyme Disease – explosion of cases in the US’ is closed to new replies.