Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)
  • Lying to the wife about cost of bike parts.
  • pictonroad

I lie about it all the time, don’t have to, it’s just nice to keep these marital traditions going. I mow the lawn, Missus puts the washing out.

She wouldn’t give a monkeys unless it actually came in front of food and bills though.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

FOG – My dad has more or less blown my ‘inheritance’ on his racing car/classic car obsession and i’m more than happy for him to do that.
    My money-obsessed sister will be first in the queue for his estate with her grubby little hand open wide whilst i’ll be laughing my head off knowing he enjoyed it whilst he was alive.
    I don’t need it or want it.

FOG

Good for you ,md, to be fair I don’t think this is coming from the kids , it’s their mother!

leftygirl
    Free Member

I cant believe the stereotypical rubbish that’s put on here!

I agree with littlemisspanda, what kind of a relationship have you got if you treat your partner like your Mum, having to hide things/cover up, its a bit pathetic, and………..
    why do you just suppose that its the woman who gets the shits with purchases on bikes/bike bits/clothes? My husband likes cycling and loves all the bling stuff, but its me who’s the fanatic and would like to buy more bike stuff, can’t you just be adults who are friends? and be up front with what you want to buy! And if you can’t face asking if she/he doesn’t mind and be able to justify why you want something then there isn’t much hope for you as a couple IMO.

brakes
    Free Member

its the woman who gets the shits with purchases on bikes

you should see a doctor about that.

Yak

Mrs Yak and I both cycle. We don’t grumble about consumables costs as its necessary to keep bikes running. Occasional new bike costs are part funded by selling old stuff and then a budget agreed. Its then up to each to sort the best possible bike or bits for that budget. Without fail, every single time we both build something for the same budget, hers is always better 😕 .

Regardless of Mrs Yak’s better ability at sniffing out bargains, the agreed budget is what we can afford to spend, after kids, house, living costs etc. It also reflects my belief that at no point should either of us be riding around on stuff that will be financially difficult for us to replace as it WILL get crashed and eventually broken at some point. So if a £x will get project y done to a functional and durable standard then that’s the limit. Beyond that, we’re both old enough to know that more £ thrown at a bike doesn’t help – just go out and get more riding done!

But – nothing is hidden. What’s the point of that? It’ll only cause bother later.

Also – scotroutes +1

workhard
    Free Member

All our money goes into a joint account, always has, always will.

She often queries my spending on hobby stuff “Why do you keep buying all this wine?” “Because you lot (four other adults round ours – the joys of rebounders) keep drinking it” “But if it wasn’t here we wouldn’t” “Yeah you would but you’d buy overpriced crap from the supermarket”

But, gawd bless, her, she knows the argument is well rehearsed when it comes to bike spend. I don’t own a car (she drives the ‘family’ car), I cycle to work every day, and the cost of a rail season ticket is £2000 a year. QED I save c£3500 a year through my transport choices and can therefore spend it on bikes.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

and be up front with what you want to buy!

Because we have (I think) a healthy attitude to finances, I am more likely to discuss any larger purchase I might want to make with my OH before I do it.

leftygirl
    Free Member

and be up front with what you want to buy!

[quote]

[/quote]Because we have (I think) a healthy attitude to finances, I am more likely to discuss any larger purchase I might want to make with my OH before I do it.

Exactly, that was the point I was trying to make 🙂

boingeyjon
    Free Member

I’d never lie to my wife – once you start lying in a relationship where will it all end? With my last purchase I was telling the absolute truth when I told her that it was the ‘entry level’ model and that I’d got a 20% discount as well. And it was only because I know how much it bores her when I talk about bikes that I didn’t go on to explain that her expectation of the parameters of the term ‘entry level’ might need to be slightly adjusted when the bike in question is a Litespeed!

ralphred1965
    Free Member

Mrs R did have a momentary loss of mental stability when I paid £600 for the Campag Shamal ultra’s for my road bike, with that immortal phrase “you paid how much?.” Even the mention of carbon/alloy hubs and ceramic bearings failed to pacify her. However Mrs R was mellow when I stumped up £900 for my Sram red groupset for the aforementioned road bike which surprised me as I was expecting world war III.

Candodavid
    Free Member

OH reaction to the receipt from the Tallboy ltc was quite good, rolled her eyes and said,”ah well another one then”.
    She’s great

rapiddescent

my wife bought me my last two Oranges as surprise birthday presents. She knows how much they cost.

wife->her buddy: did you know an Orange 5-29 costs the same as an LV handbag
    me->biker buddy: did you know an LV handbag costs the same as an orange 5-29

venus != mars.

Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Lying to the wife about cost of bike parts.’ is closed to new replies.