Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Lycra repair
  • sandwicheater

Bit of an off last night. One of the few time I’ve twatted my head on a fall but thankfully helmet did it’s job. Bit of an early end to the ride though, boooo!

Annoyingly my bib tights have a few holes/rips in and they are my only pair.

I’m not that talented with a needle but would like to know if lycra can be patched up. I know it’s a silly question but, as it’s stretchy I’m a tad uncertain if it will just rip more when I sow it up.

Many of you repair your torn lycra?

saxabar
    Free Member

Also interested in the answer to this question! (Bad roadie/ice/tarmac/lycra interface last weekend).

Not a silly question – lycra superhero outfits expensive 😛

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, I’ve done this in the past.

Have you got an old Lycra cycling top lying around ? One you’ll never use again ?

If so cut a square about double the hole you are trying to patch, fold the new Lycra patch in half and put on the inside of the hole.. Small stitches around the patch into the lycra you are repairing then where the hole is stitch a few zig zags to keep the hole together then stitch that into the patch on the other side of the hole.

If you don’t have a cycling top try something silk, like pants.

😀

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve done it loads. It works fine. Just do a loop type stitch (no idea of the proper term) with doubled up thread which makes it more secure. I’ve never used a patch – lycra is stretchy and it tends to tear so if you join the ends it works ok.

sandwicheater

Hmmm, I do have an old lycra top but the idea of my wifes silky knickers being used to repair my cycle kit is far more dangerousamusing.

Small stitches you say. I have in my sewing bag of knowledge cross stitch from primary school, think that will have to do.

Cheers.

fasthaggis

Wot nemesis said,it’s easy peasy.
    #Real men do sewing 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Lycra repair’ is closed to new replies.