Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LX Cassette "loose"
  • martinhurton
    Free Member

I’ve just tried fitting an LX cassette onto my new Crossmax wheel and it’s loose. The three largest rings on the carrier is really, really loose and the other rings are a bit loose. Tried it on another wheel and it’s the same.

The thing that is puzzling is the cassette, whilst used, looks brand new. No signs of wear at all to teh rings or splies. You wouldn’t know it isn’t new to be honest.

Just wondering if this is normal for these, I can’t see how it should be though! Or am I missing something? Maybe the last 10 years has seen the introduction of a new IS+ sized cassette or something 😕

My SRAM cassette fits perfectly, as it should, so it’s not the wheel.

br
    Free Member

Its ‘loose’.

And have you mislaid the spacers – not sure if Deore come with spacers tho.

martinhurton
    Free Member

Corrected.

Do you mean a spacer to go behind the cassette? If so I don’t thing that would help as it is loose on the splines. You can rotate it on the splines about 5 degrees.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    br
    Free Member

There could (there are on XT’s) be spacers between the cogs, or is it a single item?

martinhurton
    Free Member

The three largest cogs are on a carrier, then 4 are joined, then two are seperate.

I’m sticking my old SRAM cassette back on, there’s only 30grms difference in weight 😆

curvature
    Free Member

Just had the same issue on the Crosstrails that I was trying to sell! I’m keeping the wheels so thought I would put them on my wife’s bike.

Not solved the problem yet.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Once you’ve tightened up the lockring they should be fine. Don’t forget the spacer behind the cassette as well.

martinhurton
    Free Member

I didn’t think the spacer was needed for 9 speed cassettes? The previous owner of the wheels said that he didn’t use one.

It is fine once the lockring is tightened down, but I’m not convinced that the cassette is seated centrally or that it won’t wear the freehub splines 😕

I’ve put my SRAM cassette on and it seems a much nicer fit so reckon for 30grams extra weight I’ll stick with that.

Northwind

Some crossmaxes need a wee spacer but I have no idea what the formula is (my Enduros used to, I got a new freehub for it and the same part number no longer needs it- how French is that?)

Does mean I have a little Mavic spacer thing I’m not using if anyone needs it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘LX Cassette "loose"’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts