Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Lustleigh cleave conditions?
  • jam-bo

Is it all a horrible sloppy mess? Got a day free on Sunday and thinking about venturing over to the dark side of the moors…

Del

unlikely seeing as most of the trails are on solid rock and/or go either up or down.

v666ern
    Free Member

I imagine the route down from water (?) will be wet

😆

can you give an update if you do go im hoping to get out over xmas

jam-bo

I distinctly remember some mud in between the rocks but maybe that’s age getting to me…

thegerminator
    Free Member

Tackled a short nite ride with the lads last eve north bovey fox worthy manaton
    easdon and back conditions were pretty challenging, we all got wet, we all got muddy
    we all had a good time 😀

hamishthecat

The Cleave was OK last Sunday. The drop from Bowerman’s towards Manaton, however, was horrendous albeit rideable.

jam-bo

Ta. I was going to ride that so I might avoid.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i would imagine the bottom section of easdon tor descent will be a horror show too!

jam-bo

Never done Easdon tor, is it worth a look when it’s dry?

thegerminator
    Free Member

Hi jambo,
    it is another little dartmoor gem, best done after a dry spell as the last section
    in the wood is always wet and in the spring before the bracken grows up.
    Steepish climb up to the tor, super flowey single track then hoon it into the wood
    then pick a route through the rocks, stunning when the blubells are out to 😀

carlphillips
    Free Member

what the germinator said, tis one of favourites on the moor, super fast and flowy up at the top and then nicely techy on the bottom..deffo worth the climb up from the farm.

Del

yeah, it’s a nice trail, has a nice flow to it. not really technical but has a few surprises.
    you go up around a walled field to get to the descent. about 100 yards(ish) after peeling away from the wall the path splits, take the left on the traverse across, staying on the level, then the trail drops right near another wall ( i think, from memory. been a while ).
    beautiful when the bluebells come out but should still ride fine now. down in the trees there’s a section that is always wet. when you hit the water wait for the trail to open a little and then look to go right, across the stream, then turn back to the left. through gate to fire road, straight across on fire road and look for left turn back in to the trees. through the gate.
    from there you can turn down to north bovey and then back over towards peck farm and all that, or alternatively climb out on road back towards water. the north bovey route is green lane and i’d probably give that a miss this time of year.

jam-bo

easdon was fun. going back when its dry for sure. had a minor detour when I following some tyres tracks at the top and ended up dropping through the woods too early.

green lane across from north bovey was a bit sloppy in places but rode ok.

climb from peck farm was horrible as ever.

lustleigh cleave was sloppy in the middle and pretty greasy everywhere else, the second part down to bridge to far was in pretty good condition.

pushed back up from there up to water and then looped round to do bowermans. It was better than I expected, 99% rideable with a few dabs.

yunki
    Free Member

pushed back up from there up to water

cheating 😉

jam-bo

i always struggle with a tying together a good loop in that area, all the bits I want to do don’t really flow into each other. I wanted to do the fox tor descent as well but didn’t fancy another loop round peck farm or pushing back up and out.

Si
    Free Member

95% of the water climb is rideable… 😉

Alternatively cross the river turn immediately left and follow the singletrack along the river all the way round to Hound Tor Wood… Turn right onto the BOAT and suck it up!

jam-bo

I’d run out of suck it up.

Next your gonna tell me the peck farm climb is rideable…

Si
    Free Member

Erm yes… except that awkward hop up once you’ve turned right onto the singletrack

The river singletrack is nice and technical though btw. Good little trail

jam-bo

I’ve ridden it before although it was pretty wet that day and parts of it appeared to be in the river.

On another note, has anyone hopped the fence and ridden the trails in heatree? I spotted them over the fence and they appear to have a km or two of bermed all weather trails.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Si that awkward hop up is rideable 😉

Which trails are you talking about jambo?

jam-bo

Coming from Mortonhampstead direction, Just after you pass the crossroads where you can turn for manaton and before you get to jays grave.

I was in the van so could see over the wall, there is a built trial with berms and stuff running alongside the road just the other side of the wall.

v666ern
    Free Member

Please tell me that’s you on that link Jam bo, last picture ^ 😀

harryjan
    Free Member

On a similar note; anyone know where the rora trails are? I’ve heard them mentioned as being meat lustleigh but can’t find any info

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Lustleigh cleave conditions?’ is closed to new replies.