Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lustleigh Cleave
  • brassneck

Heading down Dartmoor way next week, and thought instead of doing a few laps of Haldon, whilst the evenings are a bit longer I might head over to Lustleigh for a spin (having seen the STW article in praise of it).

Not ridden this bit of Dartmoor, will I need a route? Or is an OS map and a bit of time enough to find some nice trails?

deadkenny
    Free Member

That article in STW came with a route map, and a fair description of the route. Plus GPX is downloadable, though for subscribers.

Was thinking of checking it out myself next time I’m down there. I grew up in the area but never rode anywhere other than on a road bike when I was a kid, and since then moved away and when I go back occasionally only really mess about around Haldon (the off-piste there is quite good) and Woodbury.

Flaperon

Lots of ways to criss-cross Lustleigh from the Moretonhampstead and Manaton sides. Whatever you do, don’t try to ride UP the cleave to Hunter’s tor, it’ll all end in tears. It’s an awesome descent, though.

ontor
    Free Member

Quite happy to show you around if you like…

spokey
    Free Member

I rode there about a month ago. My advice is take a map, and be prepared for some very technical riding. Obviously the ‘nutcracker’ descent is great but very technical. The lustleigh area is awesome, but I had someone with us who knew the area. I wouldn’t have had a clue otherwise.

brassneck

Cheers all, might take you up on that ontor if schedule allows (will be ‘working’ in Exeter, staying in Trusham, so not sure on timings yet). I’ll drop you a line if I can get over there.

I have the STW route and OS maps etc. but don’t want to be out too late in a unknown area, especially anywhere scary steep.

Haldon (the off-piste there is quite good)

I like the on piste too, it’s fun when you’re usual fare is chalky downland. The blue route round the Chudleigh side is a hoot, and rideable by most everyone, the kids will love it when we return in the summer hols. It’s perfect for a post work loop.

maxtorque

brassneck

but don’t want to be out too late in a unknown area, especially anywhere scary steep.

Can’t say i’ve found anywhere i’d classify as “scary steep” round the cleave? Plenty of little rocky drops & small gulleys to clatter down, but you can always /stop for a look or a short walk 😉 on any of the large ones i can think of??

jam-bo

It gets scarier and steeper the faster you go…

There is that funny little rock chicane/chute dropping into the bridge to far that always seems to catch me out.

jruk
    Free Member

I’ll probably be up in the cleave on Sunday morning if you want someone to show you around – email is in profile – or you can grab the route from here. It’s not the STW one but takes in the best bits of the cleave plus the Hobbit Run, Hound Tor etc .

Or, if you’re after a post work ride at Haldon a bunch of us go from the Ley Arms in Ken on a Wednesday at 6.30. All good fun!

maxtorque

I think the little er, cough cheeky cough, track off the “grit bin” hairpin down to the Old Manaton Road is possibly my fav bit of trail! Super fast, yet super narrow, and quite a few places where a well timed bunny hop or tall manual allows one to carry big speed through some pretty fun terrain 😉

thegerminator
    Free Member

Agree with maxtorque, known as “the wookie run”
    to the group i ride with it is a cracking trail.
    The moorland stuff hameldown and grimspound onto
    the warren house a must to, especially at the mo
    conditions are purfect.
    The cheeky cough move along nothing to see here
    rocky rollercoaster into widdecombe was a hoot
    last eve on the new burner 😀

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

tell me more about this “Wookie Run”?! not sure I know where you mean…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lustleigh Cleave’ is closed to new replies.