Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Lupine Betty upgrade
  • Frankers
    Free Member

Anyone upgraded their Betty light to the new 1750lumen XPG board yet, i'm interested to find out whether the new LED's and lens system gives a better flood than the 1500lumen set-up

singlespeedstu

Are they available yet?

Frankers
    Free Member

Yes they're available now

HERE

trout
    Free Member

How much is it .
    and why is it not a 2400 lumen upgrade which is what 7 XPGs are capable of .

Luminous
    Free Member

Yes, agree with Trout, 1750 seems a bit of a strange figure.

Price list seems to indicate 540 Euros for the upgrade kit 😯

Could buy my light for less, probably the Trout light too, without the faff of upgrade.

Question: If you buy and fit the upgrade kit, do Lupine still honour any warranty ?, or is it a, dealer fit only, upgrade.

L.

wwaswas

I suspect this is the reason for choking it back a bit;

"All Betty owners now get even more light on the same burn time"

wouldn't 2500 reduce run times?

montylikesbeer

bin the lupine and go for a trout light, you know it makes sence

Luminous
    Free Member

wwaswas.

Fair point, I guess if you're looking for longer run times, then holding your output back, would be one way of achieving that.

Still, other OEMs such as Exposure still give the "power of the sun" setting as an option for the user, at the expense of run-time.

Good point though.

Edit: Perhaps the light could be held-back for cooling reasons too. Consider that its difficult to design your housing for future LEDs.

🙂

L.

trout
    Free Member

Says on the lupine site 120 euro for the 7 xpg board optic and allen key.

and it is a user fit upgrade.

40 euros gets a 7 up board and similar optic from cutters .

Them there Germans sure know how to charge for stuff.

is it worth 120 euro for 250 lumens extra .
    be better if there was a way to ramp it up to 2400 lumens

Luminous
    Free Member

Ah, yes, I am corrected, well spotted Trout.

It does list item 666 at 120 Euro. I was looking at the lamp-heads section.

Still, as you point out, obviously one is paying for the name and development, etc. Yes, it is a 7-up board, but I'm guessing you have to fit the Lupine version.

Almost 2 Lumen to the Euro, not sure if P & P is included.

L.

trout
    Free Member

I am guessing it is throttled back because of the heat looking at the how to do it manual on their site and there is not a great thermal path from the leds to the case . working it back they are running at about 600 ma for 250 lumens per led.

What voltage is a lupine battery ?

Luminous
    Free Member

That housing looks a bit small to me, for dissipating the heat from a 7 XP-G set-up.

Battery voltage, I would guess, has to be in increments of the standard cell.

The Wilma uses a 7.2v battery, but runs 2 strings of 2 LEDs.

Seeing as theres an odd number of LEDs, I'd expect to see them wired in series.
    Therefore I would also expect a battery of around the 15v or 18v.

Anyone going to put a multimeter on their Betty for us ?.

🙂

L.

Frankers
    Free Member

Anyone going to put a multimeter on their Betty for us ?.

Got a Betty but no multimeter, sorry

Tbh don't really need a more powerful light than the current Betty and have also tried a Trout light to compare, but could do with a better spread of light on the Betty

Frankers
    Free Member

Bought the upgrade kit months ago but only just used due to some problems with the lens cap.

New leds brighter than before (6 x XPG) but due to the new lens the beam pattern seems less "floody" than before.

Was interesting comparing to my mates Trout light last night

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Frankers – "interesting?!" – tell us more!

Frankers
    Free Member

Surf-Mat – Member
    Frankers – "interesting?!" – tell us more!

Side by side riding comparing the Trout light against the upgraded Betty you could tell the that it was brighter but the biggest difference was the beam pattern. I have always thought that the original Betty's beam was to flooded but they have improved it.

This was the 1st comparison last night in the rain so not able to compare accurately but will make some more detailed comparisons in the next few weeks.

For the differnce in cost/performance the Trout light is very very good and is much better VFM £700 v £300

Luminous
    Free Member

Frankers.

This upgrade kit, how many LEDs now in your light ?

🙂

dazzlingboy

Side by side riding comparing the Trout light against the upgraded Betty you could tell the that it was brighter

Just to be clear – you saying the Trout is brighter than the Lupine? Certainly hope so as I’m eagerly awaiting my LL3!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well as a rather proud new owner of a Luminous 601 (6 x XPGs) I can tell you that you don’t NEED any brighter – very good quality beam pattern too.

Troutie light very similar too. £300ish (for 601 and LL) vs £700 too…

snakebite
    Free Member

well, I sort of have. my older unit went in for a repair last week, and unfortunately, they stripped the threads on the unit or something, so replaced the whole thing for the new 1750 or 1850 unit. It is brighter, I can see where I’m gonna crash that bit sooner now. 😯

wwaswas

I can wee where I’m gonna crash

you dirty boy.

snakebite
    Free Member

Don’t know whatcha mean 😉

wwaswas

ah, was hoping you wouldn’t return to the thread for at least 15 minutes…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Lupine Betty upgrade’ is closed to new replies.