Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Lunch ride bike ponderings
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bear with me, may become a bit more waffly than my usual drivel.

Working from home, I often get a chance to head out for a quick ride, before work, at lunch or after work, depending on my calendar for the day.

My Diverge is glorious for long days out on mixed terrain. My Enduro is overkill for the local trails, but can be a giggle for some of the singletrack and jump sites around da hood. My Brompton is rather nice for a meander around the river, but……

What I’m pondering is probably a “mountain” bike that fits this….

Simple, but not singlespeed. Comfortable, but not overly slack. Fast, but not a race bike. Low maintenance, as a grab and go ride, would probably be armed with a bottle/cage, pump/saddlebag and a few SWAT bits for that as well. Budget? Not sure, but not massively over the top, I suppose. Wheel size/shape? Hmm. Again, not sure, but am not convinced I need/want a fatbike for my local terrain.

So…what is there? Genesis Tarn is one that springs to mind. LBS loyalty might lead me to the likes of Giant/Spesh/Focus/Genesis, but open to ideas.

Do your worst, STW!

zippykona

Rigid fat bike should fit the bill.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sorry, Zippy, was editing! Am not sure about going fully fat, really. Especially as some of my local lunch loops can include a bit of road. 650b+ perhaps, I may even swallow my pride and look at 29, but fat might not be the right thing. (Especially if I need to fix a flat and get back for a call! 🙂 )

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    steezysix
    Free Member

Genesis Longitude? Not full fat, but plump tyres, no suspension to maintain and no funny new standards (qr front and back). Horizontal dropouts if you fancy hub gears or SS in the future. I love mine, the rigid Tarn is probably good choice too!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

longitude!

My lbs flashy, good prices.

sirromj

just get any old 26″ hardtail.

scaled
    Free Member

Sounds like you want some 650b wheels for your diverge 😀

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Cotic Soul or Solaris.
    I would go Solaris in 120mm 29er.

tillydog
    Free Member

Fat bike. Honestly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Lunch ride bike ponderings’ is closed to new replies.