• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Lunch hour rides!
  • onewing
    Free Member

Just wondering what sort of distances people cover on their lunch hour ride? Either on or off road?

Thanks

DarrenH

I (used to) get about an hour when our twins would have their lunchtime nap.
    I’d have all kit ready and get out as soon as they settled ( Missus was home btw ).
    I’d manage around 10 – 12 miles, more off road than on.
    Keeps me happy 🙂

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Hopefully get 45 miles tomorrow, but then my lunchtime might stretch out a bit longer than most! 🙂

Kryton57

I get about 30k dry MTB or 25k wet MTB in 90 mins, or 34k on the road in 1:10.

Before anyone moans, I start and hour early to make up the time as I like to make sure I’m honest enough with work to make sure my one day a week wfh opportunity isnt yanked away.

onewing
    Free Member

Thanks people! 45 miles in a lunch hourish is good going!

_tom_
    Free Member

Furthest I’ve done is a couple of miles milling around on the bmx. Taking it to the track this lunch hour!

juan
    Free Member

Usually 28 kms, about 700 m of altitude gain 😀

goby

I got a mini bmx track 5 mins from work so go over there for a good thrash around as only have 1/2 lunch.

Bucko

I need a new job by the sounds of it. I work 12 hour shifts and only get a couple short breaks depending on how busy it is.

No lunch break riding for me at all

starrman82
    Free Member

If i get chance i get out a couple of times a week, luckiy i can flex my hours to some degree. 30K’s on the road bike.

boxfish
    Free Member

Lunch at my desk. I either get out early, and stretch my road ride to work to 15 miles, or head to the woods after work.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

how do people get cooled down enough when they back to the office to avoid the “sweating like a beast at a desk” scenario?

Even after taking a cold shower I really struggle going back into our overly warm office.

Any tips anyone?

joemarshall
    Free Member

When I’m working from home, I sometimes do 1 mile swim (down the river), 1.5 mile run (to the river, then coming back up the river, barefoot in swimming shorts), 45 minutes door to door (or less if the river is high and the current is fast).

Best kind of exercise on a hot day, the swimming lowers your body temperature a little, I find I don’t sweat for the run, even when it is toasty warm.

Or another one is a 3 mile bike (10 mins on road bike) to a spot further down the river where there are some rapids and a big slow corner round the cricket pitch / sports fields, three or four times swimming down the rapids there, round the length of the meadow and run barefoot back to the start (30 mins or so) and then 3 miles bike back. 50 minutes to an hour total. Again, you get rid of the sweat in the river from the first ride, and the 10 minutes riding back is short enough that I don’t sweat much.

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve managed about 50km on the road bike, sadly doing tempos on the flat. That was a little over an hour, and very sad indeed.

LoCo
    Free Member

Bmx in the car park 😀

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve managed about 50km on the road bike, sadly doing tempos on the flat. That was a little over an hour

Tempos, so not one long interval? And you still managed 50km/(just over an)hour?

I’ve never been for a ride in my lunch break! Used to run when I worked on the North Downs. Prefer a short lunch and go home early.

rickon
    Free Member

One long tempo, 80 – 90% effort… think it was something like 37 KM/h average; back in the day when I cared about numbers 😉 There was warm up and warm down before and after.

This was on the only flat road in South Wales, a 20 minute straight with a roundabout at each end.

That used to be my Tuesday lunch time. That required banging tunes.

Drac

2×30 minute break at sometime during the day as usually late means I have no time and it’s a chance for something to eat and drink. 😕

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Lunch hour rides!’ is closed to new replies.