Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lunar Halo
  • Kbrembo
    Free Member

Anyone see the Huge Halo round the moon last night?

Pretty amazing!

“What makes a halo around the sun or moon? There’s an old weather saying: ring around the moon means rain soon. There’s truth to this saying, because high cirrus clouds often come before a storm. Notice in these photos that the sky looks fairly clear. After all, you can see the sun or moon. And yet halos are a sign of high thin cirrus clouds drifting 20,000 feet or more above our heads.

These clouds contain millions of tiny ice crystals. The halos you see are caused by both refraction, or splitting of light, and also by reflection, or glints of light from these ice crystals. The crystals have to be oriented and positioned just so with respect to your eye, in order for the halo to appear.

That’s why, like rainbows, halos around the sun – or moon – are personal. Everyone sees their own particular halo, made by their own particular ice crystals, which are different from the ice crystals making the halo of the person standing next to you.

Why is it called a 22-degree halo? Because the ring has a radius of approximately 22° around the sun or moon.”

jimdubleyou

I’ve seen a rainbow around the moon. It was pretty special.

sweepy
    Free Member

I saw that last night, was lovely. I’ve never seen a moonbow, on the wish list for years.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve seen lunar halos quite regularly but not that size, mostly the halo’s about a moon diameter out from the moon.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

CountZero

Often see them, there was some impressive nacreous cloud with sundogs yesterday afternoon as well, which is a signifier of weather change, which it was pretty much doing at the time.
    Lunar halos are a very good forecaster of changing weather, though, high cirrus coming in is normally followed by rainy weather.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Had a great view of it last night in Weem, I’ve never seen one so large

DickBarton

Aye, I spotted the moon dog last night, looked mighty fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lunar Halo’ is closed to new replies.