Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Lump at the base of my finger? Can I whack it!?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve got a lump at the base of my finger that feels fairly hard and fairly painless.. google says it’s cat aids or some kind of fluid thing… I showed the doc and he didn’t seem fussed about it but it’s got a little bigger and one of my online searches say’s give it a whack with a book! Shall I give this a go before grovelling back to the docs?

piemonster

Photo please

Before and after

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes!!

Pics Obvz..

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Ganglyon or a word like that I have one in same place and yes you can “pop” em – takes a bit of effort

scotroutes

You want to whack it off and you’re looking for the go-ahead?

mooman
    Free Member

Yep – you can pop it; odds are it will grow back not long after … so give you the chance to pop it again too.
    Although I doubt very much you`d do it twice … if its troublesome, most just get it syringed off.

starrman82
    Free Member

So have I.

submarined
    Free Member

Sounds like a ganglion cyst, aka ‘bible bump’, so called because people used to try and pop them by hitting them with the heaviest thing to hand in the house, which was usually a Bible.

I get one that pops up periodically on the back of my hand, but if a pain as I catch it on stuff, but it usually buffets off after a month or so.
    My GP said the NHS don’t do anything about them a general rule.

alexxx
    Free Member

bible bump ey.. well I’ve tried everything with no joy – it’s a keeper! I thought I had it with an old wifi antenna but I just can’t get the pressure into it as its on the inside crease at the base of my finger…

Maybe I should take up Christianity and get the job done properly.

funkmasterp

Whack it with a toffee hammer and post a video

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I pop mine on the steering wheel when I’m driving but it comes back within hours. My doctor fobbed me off with physio but it seems to be getting worser/more painfuller.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Go and shout at the priest – then stick your hand up when he throws the big book at you…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

A tribe called quest say “Yes you can”.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yeah of course you can. Go on. Use a really heavy mallet.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Might I suggest something more controlled. A nice sharp knife will be more accurate, slower and will give us more to laugh about. Please post the video.

tlr

Unless it’s dupuytrens in which case don’t hit it.

tinytim

It’s probably a pearl ganglion. Hard to whack with a bible in that location. Can be aspirated with a needle but likely to recur. If it bothers you it can easily be removed but sometimes the scar you swap it for can be annoying…

(COI: Consultant Hand Surgeon)

onandon
    Free Member

Useless without pictures

lowey

A wrist ganglion plus a sadistic GP with a nittling needle sized syringe caused the one and only “passing out” I’ve ever had.

Worked a treat though.

rOcKeTdOg

Keith Chegwin has a fine example

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Lump at the base of my finger? Can I whack it!?’ is closed to new replies.