Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Lumicycle Tail Light One – anyone got one? Advice please.
  • GrahamS

I’m thinking about getting one of these:

http://www.lumicycle.com/product/70/tail_light_one/tail-light-one.html

I already run a CatEye Holy Hand Grenade at the back, but a second steady light with a battery that won’t fail any time soon seems like a good call, especially as the hand grenade is on my bag and bounces around a bit.

I run an old Lumi Halide at the front with a battery bottle. So this seems like a good call.

Only snag: my current battery bottle only has one output.

What are the options here? Lumi sell a Y-cable:

but that is quite short so it looks like I’d have to run a lead to my bars then split it and run it back down the top tube to the rear?

Or is it possible to just add a second output to the bottle somehow?
    (I could probably solder one on but no idea how you get into the electronics without destroying the bottle?)

tonyg2003

On my winter road bike I have a Lumicycle rear light (very, very bright with side view too). I have an exteder cable zip tied to the top tube rear brake cable and a Y extender for the front to the battery/front light. This works well. I just use the front battery / separate LED on the MTBs. You can get batteries with two connectors from lumicycle.

STATO
    Free Member

Its a good light but mine failed after its first winter, water got in and shorted out the connections which in turn fried my battery. They have been selling them for a while tho so likely mine was an isolated case.

GrahamS

I have an exteder cable zip tied to the top tube rear brake cable and a Y extender for the front to the battery/front light.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking. Just wondering if there was a neater solution.

You can get batteries with two connectors from lumicycle.

Aye but the current battery is still good and new bottle batteries are £120!
    (though they are 200g lighter and last almost twice as long as my crumbly old NiMh! 😀 )

mine failed after its first winter,

mmmm.. that’s not good. Whereabouts do water get in? At the lead or actually into the light?

GrahamS

Sod it. *hand hovering over Buy*

traildog
    Free Member

I had one and it lasted years and years through all sorts of weather.
    It’s not as bright as some of the more modern lights – I’m currently using a USE one which is better IMHO. But it was great not worrying about charging the rear light separately.

I’d just get the splitter and extension lead if your battery is fine, but you could probably send it off and they’ll might be able to add another lead for minimal cost. You’d have to ask though.

GrahamS

That’s reassuring, as my hand got tired and I hit Buy 😀
    We’ll see how it goes.

It’s not as bright as some of the more modern lights – I’m currently using a USE one which is better IMHO.

Yeah the hand grenade (and reflectives) should take of the “being noticed” part. I just wanted a constant rear light as well, and a bit of backup when the batteries unexpectedly go in the CatEye.

I did wonder about sending the battery off – but winter is here so I need it now 😀

Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Lumicycle Tail Light One – anyone got one? Advice please.’ is closed to new replies.