Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Lumen wars – finally over?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There seems to be hardly any light threads this year, compared to the last few years. Have we finally got to the stage that lights are ‘bright enough?’.

z1ppy

Pre-xmas there were a good number, has slipped of late, but it’s crap out and winters almost over 😉 , that and maybe ppl have found/using the site search?

AlexSimon

maybe ppl have found/using the site search

Don’t be daft!

z1ppy

:mrgreen:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Naaaa, everyone was buying those solarstorms before Christmas.

I bought a set of light from Smudge, brighter than my old set, 1200 lumens, within a few months four4th had released their new lights and they were everywhere on the trails, 2500 british lumens (which anecdotaly is about 2x as bright as 5000 chinese lumens on the solarstorms).

It’s still as bonkers as ever.

shortcut

Still running Four4th Holy Moses on the bars and a 3 Spot Genesis also from Four4th on the helmet. No immediate value in changing as they seem bright enough for me on the medium setting.

Full power is good fun though if you don’t like the ride leader.

GrahamS

Naaaa, everyone was buying those solarstorms before Christmas.

And you don’t hear from these people now because they are all homeless after the fire 😉

road.cc did a nice light test round-up before Christmas – it looked at lumens but also beam shape etc which is just as important.

(I’m running a Gloworm X2 and very impressed with it).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Still running Four4th Holy Moses on the bars and a 3 Spot Genesis also from Four4th on the helmet. No immediate value in changing as they seem bright enough for me on the medium setting.

Full power is good fun though if you don’t like the ride leader.

I’m pretty sure there are sufficient photons being pushed out to actualy push them allong.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Difficult to look past Gloworm x2 & x1 combo. …for price .quality. and performance …imho

bikeneil
    Free Member

There seems to be hardly any light threads

You’ve just started one! !!

cookeaa

Solar Storm X2 purchased tail end of last year, it’s been OK, I expect it will fail at some point, by which point a newer product will be available with sufficient power to vapourize any rabbits that cross my path…

TBH the output of the available LEDs is plenty ridiculous already, I found the high mode on the Solar Storm a bit Spinal Tap and hence don’t use it at all…

What the cheapo far eastern lights have really needed for the last few years is better optics better weather proofing, and less deadly chargers (although the last two I’ve had have not been a problem, touch wood) but all for the for the same price.
    Or to put it another way, I’d like the moon on a stick please…

Northwind

It does seem like a lot of the chat this year was about size, lifespan, battery life etc. Stupendously bright lights got more lolz than woos, silly novelties like accelerometers seemed to go out of fashion instantly. And Ayup released a light bright enough to go head to head with a £10 torch from 2011, so that was exciting.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Lumen wars – finally over?’ is closed to new replies.