Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Lumbar hydration packs
  • charliemort

The ones where the weight is centred lower…..

I get a lot of back pain after a few hours in lower back over right hip. Currently use a camelback hash

Anyone tried a lumbar pack? Any improvement?

Thanks

slowbloke
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve got a camelback Skyline, much better weight distribution and far less prone to back ache on long rides with lots of water than previous packs I’ve had.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Wingnut packs are spotty dog IMHO- they have you carrying kit much lower down.

lovewookie

I have an octane LR, much much better than the normal camelbaks for me, just for stability more than anything.

zilog6128

Yep, got a Camelbak Charge recently (like a Skyline but cheaper as it’s last years model 🙂 ) and it’s a big improvement over regular packs. Much less noticeable. Even better though is no pack at all which I’m doing for shorter rides now using a combination of frame/seat post bag & jersey pockets.

TBH though with back/hip pain I’d also recommend regular yoga/stretching or similar.

slowbloke
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member
    Yep, got a Camelbak Charge recently (like a Skyline but cheaper as it’s last years model )

Yes, but I’m middle aged and the Skyline matches my Santa Cruz – how else would I annoy the haters 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

The idea behind the wingnuts is great bit I can’t recommend them based on durability. I had one where the zips failed. After being told there had been issues and they’d moved production, guess what, more failed zips.

Cracking design but not worth the money in my experience. They’re not particularly well supported by the manufacturer either.

cp

I’ve not had great experience with longevity of wingnut kit either 🙁

I do most of my mtb’ing with an Inov8 pack with a lumbar bladder. Far more stable & comfortable than a traditional camelbak style pack.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The idea behind the wingnuts is great bit I can’t recommend them based on durability.

Got two. No problems here so far *touches wood*

They’re not particularly well supported by the manufacturer either.

Max at RoughRideGuide (UK importer) is a decent bloke; I think part of the problem is the designer in the US who’s a bit of a mad genius. He went off to do some solar power project for the US military for a while and Wingnut sort of fell off the radar, but apparently he’s now back at it full steam.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

Camelbak Skyline here. Really comfy and secure. Doest seem to make my back so sweaty either.

fudge9202
    Free Member

+1 for the Skyline, had a wingnut but for me this is a better fit and more comfortable.

avdave2

The idea behind the wingnuts is great bit I can’t recommend them based on durability. I had one where the zips failed. After being told there had been issues and they’d moved production, guess what, more failed zips.

I’m another who must have got a good one. I use it 3 or 4 times a week for both cycling and running to work and have never had a problem. It does seem though that they have made a few duff ones at times

Del

The idea behind the wingnuts is great bit I can’t recommend them based on durability.

+1 ropey zips, and also the belt started pulling out. looking at it, it only had two parallel lines of stitching to secure it. not very good considering it’s supposed to take the weight…
    shame, it was comfy. now landfill

use an osprey bumbag now, will get a camelbak skyline/charge/whatever if i ever need a large pack again.

D0NK

well I have a wingnut and yeah the zips are starting to go and a bit of the “wall” between the bladder and main pack has ripped away from the stitching at the top, however the thing is over 6 years old and I’ve used it a lot, I’d get another, I guess I’ll have to in the next year or two.

But to answer the OP yeah I was getting some backache while using a camelbak, swapped to wingnut and no more issues, they also have belt pockets easier to get to, more stable and hte pack doesn’t it you on the back of the helmet when you go down really steep stuff.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I got fed up with back packs so started using a Camelbak FlashFlo a few years ago and really like it. It’s not strictly designed for biking more hiking and is a bit like a big bumbag but still holds a 1.5L bladder and enough kit for my day rides.

orena45

Liking my Camelbak Skyline, wrote a review on my blog, which might be of use to you 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Lumbar hydration packs’ is closed to new replies.