Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Lubrication -emergency uses of olive oil
  • mountainman

As the title ,my bike i keep at work had stood for couple months after somewhat muddy use.
    Quick clean up but terrible squeaks from jockey wheels ,no oil to hand so COOP best virgin to the rescue. Enviro friendly too !

Any other emergency tips or kitchen cupboard fixes folk want to share ?

wwaswas

Prosecco makes an excellent bike wash alternative if one runs out of Champagne.

DickBarton

Water…it’s about 99% as effective as oil as a lube…but oil will stay on the chain longer!

Northwind

You can use olive oil as brake fluid in mineral type brakes too, in an emergency (freeze point is a bit high though!). But it turns out you can’t use Shimano brake fluid in a salad.

Forge_Master
    Free Member

Not an emergency fix but a tip none the less.

Hair spray for when putting on new grips, liberally apply to inside of grip and insert.

Cheezpleez

Egg yolk and olive oil instead of chamois cream.

And you get a serving of mayonnaise to put on your post-ride chips into the bargain!

wwaswas

*avoids obvious saveloy joke*

globalti
    Free Member

Talc is the best dry lubricant for rubber know to man. Makes tyre fitting a breeze.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve done the olive oil thing and for added cultural points I used it whilst touring Greece.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I was expectimng something dirty.

What a let down 👿

traildog
    Free Member

On a similar theme; Lemons make excellent chain cleaners. Cut them in half and wipe along the chain. Old lemons which you wouldn’t really want to eat work just as well.

Peyote
    Free Member

Water…it’s about 99% as effective as oil as a lube…but oil will stay on the chain longer!

Water in this weather would last about 5 minutes!

micky
    Free Member

I remember back to my college days when a friend “buttered” his rusty chain as that was all he had to hand. It got him to college but the gears wouldn’t work for the return journey.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Lubrication -emergency uses of olive oil’ is closed to new replies.