Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Lube products review
  • ajt123
    Free Member

This year I have done more miles than ever before. Which is great. Also it means I’ve tried out a few products, here are my thoughts.

Riding conditions: Surrey hills and South downs. A perfect storm of clay, loam and sand.

Riding: Around 50k average per week, all conditions.

Scores are as follows

Durability [How long lasting, especially in the wet]
    Lubrication [How well it does the job]
    Cleanliness [How well it avoids picking up dirt]
    Value For Money

Finish line green:

Durability – 4.5/5
    Lubrication – 4/5
    Cleanliness – 1.5/5
    VFM – 4/5

If you are on a 50k ride in the lashing rain, this stuff is the sh1t. It will stay on inside the links forever, even through puddles. On the downside without rain it will pick up tonnes of dirt, especially sand and organic material.

Verdict: Clean off regularly, keep in your pack, apply in the winter.

Halfords 3 in 1:

Durability – 3/5
    Lubrication – 5/5
    Cleanliness – 2.5/5
    VFM – 4/5

Verdict: Surprisingly good lube this, especially VFM. Light oils are excellent lubricants and really penetrate the chain. A mate of mine swears by 3 in 1 and keeps it on 365 days of the year. Cleanliness isn’t epic and it will get washed off. If you can afford more than one lube, I would.

Finish line white:

Durability – 3/5
    Lubrication – 2.5/5
    Cleanliness – 2/5
    VFM – 1.5/5

Verdict: Supposedly the best of both worlds, but seems to lack any of the outstanding qualities of Finish Line Green, or Red. Also quite pricey and you have to leave on over-night for it to cure. Over-priced and over-rated.

Muc Off yellow – non-ceramic dry lube:

Durability – 3.5/5
    Lubrication – 3,5/5
    Cleanliness – 3/5
    VFM – 4/5

Verdict: An excellent all-rounder this, if you want one lube this would be my bet. Penetrates the chain well, but has more staying power than you might expect. Rather like a more viscous version of finish line red. Not massively clean in dusty conditions, but good as an intermediate. This all begs the question why bother with the pricier ceramic flavours?

White lightning clean ride wax:

Durability – 1.5/5
    Lubrication – 2/5
    Cleanliness – 4.5/5
    VFM – 1.5/5

Verdict: I wanted to like this, I really do. Especially in dry conditions you can basically brush the chain clean and reapply. The carrier solvent is also excellent at removing any last grime on the chain. However, however, however, it highly flawed: Firstly it has no staying power – your chain is forever squeaking. Moreover, a few puddles and it is totally gone. This combined with the highly liquid formula means this is one only for dry day cyclists. This does what it says on the tin if you ride in exclusively sandy, dry conditions, but I live in England, not Utah.

Finish line red:

Durability – 2.5/5
    Lubrication – 4/5
    Cleanliness – 4/5
    VFM – 4/5

Verdict: Goes on very easy and penetrates the chain well, lubricates and avoids the dust, very easy to clean off. Not one for the wet. Also very useful for lubricating fork and shock seals.

So. Red+Green for the win, or Muc Off Yellow as an all rounder.

What do you think, is there any better, do these findings apply to your part of the country?

Alex

njee20
    Free Member

Squirt is better, or White a Lightning Epic Ride. Same part of the country.

nuke

^ same as what njee said…Squirt for me, also Surrey Hills

RnR Extreme in the wet months though

njee20
    Free Member

White Lightning Wet Ride in the wet for me!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Squirt here too.

Jason
    Free Member

Squirt gets my vote too. I did use the Muc Off yellow for a while ( Halfords had it cheap) but have found Squirt easier to apply and more durable. An application of Squirt lasted me for 12hrs of very dusty riding at Bontrager 24:12 this year.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Lube products review’ is closed to new replies.